Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration when towing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Jul 18, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 burban with a 350 and 700R4. It has the 208 t-case too. I also have a 6" lift, 35's, 4.56's, and factory drive shafts. When it kicks down while towing I get a bad vibration. My u-joints are good. I perform regular maintenance on the engine and tranny regularly. The engine has less than 1200 miles on it. I think I have it narrowed down to an out of balance driveline or something in the tranny is fouling up. Could it also be a little axle wrap issue? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Could be that your driveshaft is a little short. The yoke may be too far out of the trans especially under acceleration when towing .

Also, your driveline/pinon angle may have changing because of the extra weight from towing.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Can you duplicate it un-loaded, without the trailor? Like going up a steep hill, maybe even ride the brakes a-bit while givein' it some throttle. Try to duplicate the load on the engine without actualy haveing the trailor hooked up. If you can, then it might be tranny related or maybe even something grounding out on something else (like the exhaust on the frame/cross members)

If your unable to duplicate the vibration un-loaded. Then it's most likely drive line related. Loading up the chassis with a trailor will change the U-joint angles, then toss in some throttle indused pinion angle and volla' - you get a driveline vibration. Try turning the pinion down a degree or two, to counter-act the rotation the pinion will have under hard exceloration under a load.

Diag it first before you start throwing your wallet at it.

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

WEIGHT YOUR DRIVEING AND SHE IS HAVEING THE VIBES, y are you cgribing just grab the wheel firm and give he a glance in apprtval

let the good vibes roll,

take pics /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif