Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration when turning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Jimmyish, Aug 28, 2001.

1. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

When accelerating out of a turn (sharp or not doesn't matter) I get a slight, but definately noticable vibration that goes away in a couple of seconds - probably after the wheels straighten out. I checked all my lugs and they're all tight, any other suggestions?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's still got the 203 and still full time I would check your front CV joint. it may be worn out. If part time I would go through and check the usual stuff like ball joints and tierods.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. 78Jimmyish

It's a 208, but I'll check the tie rods and ball joints. Danke.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Is it in the front or the rear? Eitherway in addition to what has been said I would look at the bearings in either the front or the rear. Does it do it turning either direction?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. 78Jimmyish

Feels like the front. Course, I threw my back out yesterday, so I won't be doing any bending over for a couple days, but when I do, how do I check all of these things (forgive my ignorance, but I'm not a car guy)

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Jack up the front end of the truck. Grab the front tire on the top and bottom and wiggle it up and down- if you get play this way your front ball joints are shot and need replacing. Get a buddy to crawl under the truck and watch the ball joints to be sure. If the joints look tight, your bearings are probably the culprit. Repeat the process on the other tire.

Now grab each side of the tire and wiggle it back and forth- worn tie rod ends will allow movement this way. Once again, a buddy under the truck can help spot where the play is. Do the other tire, too.

There's a little bit more to it, but there's the basic steps........

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>