Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration Woes...Update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Ok got off of my lazy keister and did a few things. Talked to a few knowledgable folks who run stupid amounts of lift on J**ps and the consecisis was the lowereing the transfer case would relieve some of the angle on the forward U-Joint. OK, can't hurt. Soooo after some careful examining I noticed some spacers on the bolts that hold the skidplate / transfer case mount to the frame. I simple removed the spacers, nuts and bolts then reassembled them with the spacers between the skidplate and the frame then measured the angles, ah yea much better. Major improvement, :saweet: but I still had some vibration. Next I replaced the U-Joints figuring that the mismatched angles had caused some wear. I didn't see anything odd, but the road test proved that I had removed 99% of the vibration! There's still some, but since I haven't had the tires balanced in almost a year, I'm gonna blame them. After the holidays I'm gonna scrape up some $$ and have them balanced, then we'll see how it feels then.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sweet dude, I am having some of the same probs as you but do not want to drop my x fer case again. I am going to buy shims and build a custom crossmember for the tranny. That factory crossmember is an anchor and mine is pretty thrashed:thinking: :weld: :grind: :hack:

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Although that seems like a good fix, it is notorious for cracking the frame around the bolts. The small spacers do not spread the load enough and puts tons of stress on the frame. A better solution is to buy a t-case lowering kit. That or get a double cardan shaft!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll bet you if you lower your case you'll bind the saginaw CV in your front driveline even worse if it's not binding already.