Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mayleke, Oct 6, 2006.

1. mayleke

mayleke Registered Member

Good day all, Question about completed lift. You all know I just completed a 6" Superlift with 36" TSL Super Swampers. Now I am noticing that I have a vibration at low speed. Basically at take off and up to about 10 miles an hour I have some vibration. It smooths out quite nice after that. I was woundering if it could be the U-Joints, Drive shaft, emergency brake or just the tires? I have checked and double checked everything to ensure I was not hitting or rubbing anywhere. I did not pull down driveshafts and U-Joints so I know the balance is correct. I was thinking that maybe the added pressure and tension may have pushed the U-Joints and bearings over the end as they are old. Or maybe the emergency brake cable may be to tight. I do have a electric breake controller setup, Maybe I need to take it out. Any ideads on what to look for? I will ensure that I put the findings in forum so that everyone can check for same type problems. Also does anyone know the stock length of the spline on the front and rear driveshafts? I lost about 3"s on the front with the lift installed. I am going to pull it down and look but was woundering how much should be left after lift. Instructions stated that at 1 3/4 "s should be sufficient. I think just to be safe I may have the shafts reworked.

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have that vibe too and im pretty sure its my tires, it most promenent at about 5 mph and stops at about 10, i have 6 inch w/ bfg mud terrains and theyre really quiet at higher speeds and when i slow down i can hear the whirr of the lugs on the tread and then it goes into that vibe, all my joints are good and my brakes work properly shafts are balanced. i suspect it would be your tires too

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

The electric brake do not effect the brakes on your truck at all, it just applies the brakes on a trailer when towing. Did you drop your transfer case? If not try look at your transfer case crossmember and you'll see some spacers under it. Pull the bolts and put the spacers between the crossmember and the frame. If the vibration is the driveshaft this will probably take care of it. You may want to test drive it with another set of tires on (if available) and that will tell you if it's the tires. TSL's do ride a little rough at slow speed though

4. mayleke

mayleke Registered Member

I figured it out. The emergency brake cable is extreamly old and rusty. I applied the brake several times and applied PB Buster to lube up cable. After a few times the brake loosened up and the drag and vibration quit. I need to install a new cable and assembly. The TSL's still are a little to much for rergular road conditions, I'll leave them on for the winter and then put my (A/T's) all terrains back on in the spring.