Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by GMtrucklover, Oct 29, 2001.

1. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

I have a nasty drive line vibration on my 87 k5 after swaping to a 14 bolt. I know i need a new shaft but is there a slip yoke eleminator kit out there?? So far i haven't found one. Any advice please????

74 gmc work truck
    87 k5 blazer hardcore wheeler
    90 suburban family hauler/snowmobile
    96 gmc k1500 daily driver/tow vehicle

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

for what t case ?

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

3. GMtrucklover

np208, sorry

74 gmc work truck

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There is an eliminator kit out there but I'm not sure of the contact info or price. Consider it carefully because the 208's not the most desirable for a hard use truck. The don't spontaneously explode, but it seems to happen sooner or later. You may want to just get by with a slip yoke CV shaft and go to another transfer case with a solid output.
    did you change axle gear ratios? That's would be the only reason for a vibration to pop up all of a sudden. if you did not, check the rear end out, it could be the problem.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. GMtrucklover

i did change ratio's but i know thats not the problem. BEst as i can tell the 14 bolt yoke is lower and sits back farther. My current drive shaft is to short. Thats what the vibration is from, but while i am getting a cust shaft anyways i thought i might be able to elimate the slip yoke. The other thing i have been toying with is the 205 doubler like what you have in your jimmy stephen. What does that cost considering that i have no parts not even shells??

74 gmc work truck

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

get a dodge (D) model 208and swap the shafts adn tailhousing voila slip yoke eliminated

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

7. Stephen

The change in axle gearing could be a big part of it, with a deeper diff gear, the driveshaft will spin faster at the same road speed so it could vibrate more. I found out first hand when I went from 1/2T 3.73's to 3/4T and 4.56's. I could drive 85 no problem before, after, I could only do about 65.

A total setup for the Doubler would be about $2100.00, plus another $100 to $150 for shipping probably. That includes all the parts to bolt it to a TH350, the built NP203 with the kit installed and a built NP205 all ready to go. All you need to do is mount it up and add oil. That price also includes the shifter.

SW-ORD

8. Stephen

The change in axle gearing could be a big part of it, with a deeper diff gear, the driveshaft will spin faster at the same road speed so it could vibrate more. I found out first hand when I went from 1/2T 3.73's to 3/4T and 4.56's. I could drive 85 no problem before, after, I could only do about 65.

A total setup for the Doubler would be about $2100.00, plus another $100 to $150 for shipping probably. That includes all the parts to bolt it to a TH350, the built NP203 with the kit installed and a built NP205 all ready to go. All you need to do is mount it up and add oil. That price also includes the shifter. This is for a standard type Doubler, with everything turned flat and mixed and matched, there is a little extra charge. I'm not sure what it is, we're working on one setup like that right now and it's a few extra hours of work for us to build, so probably in the neighborhood of $200 extra. And we wouldn't charge for or send the shifter since you won't be able to use it.

SW-ORD

9. GMtrucklover

What about using a np205 mated to a 700r4?? If so do you make a 4:1 low kit so i don't have to deal with the way to high geared low range?? I know that it isn't my geares cause the 4.10:1 gear ratio is what i had in my other axles. When i put the blazer on the lift at work and let the blazer axles drop all the way the drive shaft is barely in the t-case. In fact if you put the tranny in gear at idle you can hear the drive shaft pop out of the t-case and back in.
    One other thing is i would really like to check out you blazer if you are ever down this way. It looks really sweet!!

74 gmc work truck

10. Stephen

Going to a TH700/205 would help, it give you about 9" of driveshaft if I remember right. It may not be enough to get rid of the vibration totally, but it'll be close, and a CV joint would have a long happy life in there behind a 205. There is no low gear set for the 205, you can't fit much lower gears in the case, that's the big reason we have the Doubler kit. Even going to the Doubler would be better since it's a squeeze shorter and uses a solid output yoke.

SW-ORD

11. GMtrucklover

Thank you very much for all of your help. How much is the adapter kit for the th700 to 205??.That sounds like what i will do until i can afford the doubler kit. I think that might be awhile at a 2g pop. I would like tou see you jimmy though. If you are ever down to colorado springs let me know so i can check it out.
    Nick

74 gmc work truck

12. Stephen

You basically need a TH350 version NP205 exactly how it came from the TH350. Then you replace the output shaft in the TH700 with a $160 shorter one and it all bolts together. I lined out some prices for this in another post just a few minutes so in the interest of going home soon, I'm going to recommend you look that up.
    It may be more cost efficient (but not cheaper) to work toward the Doubler kit not rather than later.....

SW-ORD