Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I am getting a pretty bad vibration at around 70 and higher. Recently the U-joint lost 2 c-clips and worked itself a little loose. I fixed it, swapped rear tires to the front and I still have this vibration in the rear. The u-joint is tight, but could it have gone bad or worn itself out of round when it came loose? Am I expecting too much if I want the truck to be smooth, or close to it at 75? Truck is in the sig.
    Thanks
    AW

2. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

????

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I would change the ujoint as a precaution. I had a vibe in my blazer for a couple days. It wasn't that bad, so I thought it was alignment. After a couple days I busted the ujoint & messed up my driveshaft.

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Ya, I'd change that U-joint first too. Be sure and not overtorque them or the cups will get out of round, needle bearing melt, then you throw/pole-vualt the driveline. After changing that joint and it still vibrates, take the driveline to a driveline shop and have them check the balance. Also, when your driving and the paint is pealing back, you're going too fast...
    You might also want to do a search on 'Vibration' and all post older thatn a year and you should come up with some similarities

5. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Try and find an EVA meter. It will measure the vibration frequency and from there you can pinpoint the source.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Where would one obtain such a meter at a reasonable price?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've got the same thing happening in my 84. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but jack up the rear, take off the wheels and rotors, and let it idle in drive. If you have a semi floating rear, watch the axle flanges. I tried to fix my vibration prob. for about 6 months and couldn't find anything. When I happened to have the rear up to check for rear bearing noise when I noticed some wobble in one of my flanges. Turns out it's bent. I must have hit something harder than I thought. Like I said, That might not be it, but it's easy to check.

8. Tice

Tice Registered Member

i was having that same problem, but at a lower speed and i was eating u-joints like dog on a bone. turned out to be a bad yoke. havnt had any problems in over a year. good luck. Tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif