Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration ??????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Nov 8, 2002.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 86 k5 that i just lifted 6" and i now have a vibration. The vibration is real bad between 5 and 10 mph, but then it goes away. The main problem is when i let up on the gass above 35 mph there is a chatter sound,( almost sounds like a grinding) but it quits after i get below 35 or so. The shop told me it was from backlash in my rearend and t/case and if i get the driveshaft lenghtened it should go away. I got the shaft retubed and i still have the probs. Any suggestions on what i could do to get rid of the vibes and noise??????? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

i had that in mine and it was my u-jonts.

3. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I have new u-joints, just put in 2 new ones the night b4 it got lifted. I didnt do the front shaft but it shouldnt be moving( hard to look under while i'm drivin)

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Too much driveline angle. You need a CV drive shaft...
    Jim

5. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

My 86 did the exact same thing yours did when I lifted it. It is basically what someone mentioned above, to much drivline angle. I got a 1 ton CV driveshaft from Jesse at High Angle Driveline and it took care of all my vibes.

7. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I am having the same problem I think after I lifted my Blazer. Low speed vibe on acceleration and a rumble (it sounds like the drivers fronts but maybe not???) The front has the shims from a Rancho 2 1/2" lift under the 4" springs.
    The rear has no shims yet and has a bit of a driveshaft angle. Would shimming the rear possibly cure our problem?
    Or is a high dollar driveshaft the only solution?
    NO! Dropping it back down is NOT an option! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Or is a high dollar driveshaft the only solution?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No a high dollar driveshaft is not he only solution, there are guys on this board that have had worse angles than I ever did and have never had a vibe. Ask Rene, I think his angles are setup for a CV shaft and he is running a egular shaft with no vibes.
    Just make sure all of your angles are correct to begin with, then start raising and lowering your pinion angle with shims. You can also try to lower you t-case with spacers so that yoiur angles aren't to steep. You basically want your output shaft coming from your t-case and your pinion to have the same angle. So if you lower your t-case, you need to raise your pinion. Does any of this make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It's got me confused too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Not to insult you, but did you grease the ujoints after you put them in?