Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazerbob, Oct 8, 2000.

1. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Help! My blazer has developed a vibration between 35-45 mph. The motor was replaced 9 months ago. The driveshaft was lengthened and rebuilt 1 month ago and at the same time they opened the rear end to check everything and said it was fine. They also dropped the transfer case 1 inch. The front u-joints and wheel bearings were replaced 2 months ago. The vibration started about 1 week after new driveshaft was installed and right after returning home from long trip to parents house over labor day weekend. It has no lift just helper springs in rear and the trans has 156,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Check that none of your suspension hardware has worked loose. This could allow your whole axle assembly to "shimmy".
    Just a thought.

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Where does it feel that the vibration is coming from, the front, center, rear, or can you tell? I would check things out, it sounds like u-joints to me, but it could be anything. I had torque convertor bolts back out before and had a vibration, as well as a clunking noise. Try to give some more details. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Not sure about what's involved with lowering a transfer case, but I would take a close look at the mounts AND at your engine mounts, too. Check for lost balance weights on the driveshaft- one might have been lost if it wasn't attached securely.

Where does the vibration seem to be coming from?

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

does it make any difference if your accelorating or coasting? most common vib is u joints.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

The other posts pretty much covered this...Check every nut, bolt, balance weight, etc. that may have anything to do with any of the work since and including the motor replacement. Wheel weights, all u-joints, drive shaft weights, tranny/t-case/engine mounts, any part that turns your steering system, any nut or bolt on a rotating part-fan, harmonic balancer, flywheel, u-joint straps, spindle nuts, lug nuts, etc. Jack up the front end and see if anything is loose, pull on the top and bottom of the tires outward to see if the wheel bearing spindle nut is still tight.(shouldn't be any noticable movement)

Lastly, did you go wheeling lately and get some mud stuck in your rims causing them to be off balance?

Cruisin in my '73.

7. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Hey, that's about the same The Mule does after I had the 3" body lift and the 4" suspension lift (rear blocks). I had my driveshaft lengthened and balanced, too. We didn't drop the tcase. And now The Mule goes off fine, then reaching 30mph it starts vibrating. No real clue where it comes from. Then at about 40mph all of a sudden the vibrations stop, and it's all fine again.
    I'll have a look on all the issues mentioned in this thread, but if You come over something which solves Your problem, would You let me know?
    Thanx
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Keep it simple, check your tires for out of balance.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Also check that your tranny bellhousing is still tight. I realize this would probably cause a vibration at any speed, but you never know...

90K5

10. MuleMaster

Good hint, but that was the first I did ... no change at all!
    Nevertheless - thanks
    MuleMaster

11. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Still haven't had a chance to check anything cause of working too much. I am going to climb under and check all the bolts and ujoints Sat. Could it be something in the transmission?

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. MuleMaster

Same to me, but I'm off for 1.5 weeks starting mid next week. If permitted by the lady, I'll stay some days under the rig and will check whatever was suggested in this thread. I definitely hope it's nothing within the transmission!
    L8er
    MuleMaster