Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibrations/Clanking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, May 23, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

when i let off the gas anywhere above 55mph or so i get a vibration/grinding sound as i slow until i hit about 45-50mph, am i right in thinking that this means my u-joints are about shot and need replaced? or could it be something else?
    also, when i start moving foreward from a stop i'm hearing a clanking noise from the rear, this just started after i got back from an 800 mile round trip, and it only seems to happen between 0-15mph.
    any input?
    thanks.
    HAYDUKE

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Hayduke that does sound like the u-joints you better check them and fast, my truck was doing the same clanking noise and when it started about 2 days after I was pulling into a driveway when I heard a big clank noise and the truck stopped, I looked under the truck and the driveshaft from the side that connects to the t-case was on the ground and the u-joint was completely shot. So the moral of this story is to check that clanking noise and if it is the u-joint replace it as soon as posibble good luck man.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well it seems no one will ever have a definitive answer to this one! Somebody PLEASE!
    I have the same problem and have had it forever and am still trying to resolve it. I don't have the clunck problem -- I've thoroughly checked/repaired all of my u-joints -- but I do have the grinding/vibrating problem. I have a 4-speed manual and it seems to only do it in top gear. I haven't measured my yoke angles yet but from observation they look pretty damn close. I've had the rear apart several times (and by professionals) and all is well there too. This weekend I'm taking it to another tranny shop to see if they have any ideas. Oh yeah, my truck's only lifted 3.5 in the front and 4.5 in the back. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

4. Longfinger

Longfinger Registered Member

I've got the grind too. 45mph and up when I let off the gas. Mine is the transfer case shifter rattling. Check that. It just needs a new bushing someone told me.

Longfinger

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey George,

Sounds like a bad u joint, be sure to check the yoke. I replaced my u joint and the yoke was so stressed out it kicked the driveshaft right back out, but for what its worth take some wrenches and crank on everything. Could be a bad ring and pinion too. Good Luck.

Jim