Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibrations cont'd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

alright, is there a special part number for the u-joint's??? i have an 85 Jimmy with a np208 and a 10 bolt rear

i pulled the d-shaft and looked at the joints to make sure they gave me the right ones at the parts store and apparently the PO modified the shaft or i'm just dealing with a bunch of guys that don't know what they're doing.

so on the d-shaft the u-joint has the external clips to hold the cap in and on the slip yoke it has the internal c-clips holding the caps in. then on the other end of the shaft (the one that goes to the pinion) it has the internal clips :confused:

i'm getting confused, i think the PO did something to the driveshaft. anyway, is this what you guys have on ya'lls or is it just me???

2. 85 Jimmy

no part numbers?????

3. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

The closest thing that I can think of is u-joint sizes. I don't think that u-joints have PN, I could definitely be wrong, but this maybe a start. This article talks about the various sizes of unjoints, and how they generally work. Good luck! http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

swapped..

Sounds like a "conversion" U joint--most GM joints have either internal clips ,or external ones on all 4 caps...yours sounds like a conversion joint that allows the 2 different shaft/rear pinion flange u joints to "mate"..someone swapped in a different driveshaft ,or yoke on the pinion most likely..

The only way to figure out which U joint you need is to use the numerical listing charts in the rear of the catolog,where they are listed by cap diameter and "spread"..looking them up by what truck it is won't work anymore,once things have been swapped!..:crazy:

5. 85 Jimmy

i got it, i had to go to this little independently owned shop with the old joints and a mic, they let me go through every single u-joint they had :laugh: :laugh: