Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibrations...Driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Dec 19, 2000.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hope someone can shed some light on this one for me. I just got done putting my 14 bolt FF with detroit locker in last night. The background info is this: I had been running a 4" lift with Superlift springs up front and blocks in the back with a 10 bolt front and rear. This weekend I put in 6" superlift springs (warranty replacement) up front, ORD shackle flip and 2.5" springs in rear. Then the 14 bolt went in last night. Everything went together pretty smoothly and I hooked up the driveshaft with the new Neapco 5-1153X conversion u-joint, it all hooked right up. Here's the problem - driving home, ANY time I let off the gas when rolling there is a severe vibration and a "grinding" or "metallic" noise coming from the rear of the truck! As soon as I apply power it seems to go away, but as soon as I let off again it comes back. And it stays until very low speed. I got up to about 70, and it is pretty much constant until just before stopping...any ideas? I am going to bring it down to the driveline shop and have them check the angles, etc. The pinion is pointed up nicely with shims and the ORD shackles, but there must be something out of whack... Any help would be appreciated... can I rule out the Detroit locker? It was regeared and the locker installed by a reputable shop, but is that the next place to look?

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the driveshaft is out of phase...meaning the ujoints are operating on different angles. Measure the output of the transfer case...if you have a 241 or 208 with slip yoke, measure the angle of the output housing where the seal rides...it should be "about" 5-8 degrees. Next measure the yoke flat surfaces on the 14 bolt...this measurements should be exact or within a degree or so of the transfer output angle, if not thats your vibe problem. May have to shim the 14 bolt so that the pinion drops down (shims installed backwards) to regain angle to match the transfer's. Good luck, and let us know!!

ken

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ken, that' what I was afraid of. Just eyeballing it, the pinion looks like it is probably pointed up TOO much now...it is definitely not the same as the t-case...I will try putting the shims in backwards, see if that helps...but man, it was great having the power back with the new 4.56 gears! Truck actually felt responsive for once!! :)