Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibrations/grinding please help me

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Jan 14, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I get some terrible vibrations in my feet and seats when I am doing about 65+. It happens when i let of the gas there is this terrible grinding/vibrating sound and feeling. I don't know what it is all i know is when i let of the gas it just starts grinding. I don't have a front drive shaft in right now. I have an 86 blazer with a 305 and a 700r4 please help me it has started to get worse and it is worse when cruising down the freeway help me before something really goes wrong i don't need any more problems with this thing.

"When you say i drive a fullsize are you calling my wife fat."
    J/K i was bored and made that up i don't even have wife i'am only 17.

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

What transfercase do you have?

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Here are 3 things that happened to me that caused vibration and/or grinding ........... grinding - auto hubs, replace them with manuals ...... you'll never regret it .........vibration - tighten your tranfer case bracket bolts, if they're loose they'll vibrate the Blazer ....... also check your front bearings, I had a 79 pickup with a bad seal and the bearings and races got bad and wore a groove in my short axle shaft ....... I replaced the shaft and bought and replaced new bearings and races and then I could do 90 m.p.h. with no vibration what so ever !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Also check your u-joints, your tire balance, shocks, etc,......... just look over your vehicle and try and pin point it better ........ let us know what you find !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

5. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Next time please reply to the person whose question you are answering please. This save a bunch of confusion.[​IMG]

Happy wheelin!

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

6. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

The grinding may also be improper shift linkage adjustment on your t-case. I had a proble similar to that when i had my 208 in my blazer, i also had bad ujoints but they only vibrated at about 60 to 65mph. Hope i help.

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I never pay attention who I'm replying to ........ It's for everybody !

L8r,

8. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I wasnt trying to be a bother. Im just not very good at making friends.[​IMG]

9. blazentank

What transfer case came stock in 86 it is to late at night to think, i forgot what i have

10. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Is it an aluminum case?

11. blazentank

huh? Sorry i have no idea

12. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Is your shift pattern
    2Hi -N- 4Hi-4Lo
    or
    4lo -N- 2Hi-4Hi
    or
    Hi/Loc-Hi-N-Lo-Lo/Loc

13. blazentank

I think it is a 208
    2hi
    4hi
    n
    4lo

14. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Well it is pretty late but check you u joints for wobbling side to side And make sure when you select a gear that it stays firmly in that gear make sure you have enough fluid in your t case as well as your rearend and transmission. check your slip joint on your driveshaft for looseness even a little side to side movement is not a good thing. check to see how much play you have in your rearend by rotating your rear drive shaft back and forth more than about a 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn is a bad thing. But mostly look into having your drivline re-balanced.

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

NP208 came stock in 86's.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

16. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Please post what results you find !

L8r,

17. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

I happen to have the exact same problem with my jimmy. And i have yet to find out. My t-case shifter doesnt like to stay in 2 wheel drive, does this meant the linkage needs to be adjusted??

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bigredjimmy.iwarp.com>http://www.bigredjimmy.iwarp.com</a>

18. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

The selector on mine doesn't stay exactly on 2hi, either. I don't think it is affecting the transfer case at all, though. Is that what you mean?

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

19. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't know what to tell you but I really would like to find out how you fix your problem. I drive an 86' K5 and I get some vibration too. I don't think as bad but I could definitely use some help on that.
    Thanks,
    Chris

20. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Only thing I can think of that would cause grinding (in the T Case) would be the shift selector fork. I rides on a grooved clutch fork looking kind of a thing(sorry been a few yrs since I fixed mine) , and the fork has "dog ears" with nylon bushings on them. These bushings wear off so it's metal on metal and that might be the noise you hear. It also might be the cause of the t case not staying 4 wheel hi. Mine used to pop into neatral all the time til I fixed it. Good Luck, keep us posted.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim