Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIBRATIONS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cwilson, Sep 1, 2004.

1. cwilson

cwilson Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I JUST PUT A 6" LIFT ON MY 87 BLAZER LAST NIGHT. EVERYTHING WENT ON GREAT. I USED A 4" RAISED STEERING ARM TO COMPENSATE FOR STEERING GEOMETRY. I USED SPRINGS FRONT AND REAR THAT HAD SHIMS PREASSEMBLED ON THEM. HOWEVER ONE OF THE SHIMS ON THE BACK SPRINGS FELL OF SO I REPLACED THEM BOTH WITH SOME SHIMS FROM A LOCAL SHOP THAT WERE THE SAME SIZE. MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I CREST 10MPH I GET A VIBRATION THAT SHAKES THE TRUCK TILL I HIT ABOUT 45MPH THEN IT CLEARS UP A BIT. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE? ANY IDEAS? I WANT TO GO WHEELIN' BUT I DONT WANT TO BREAK SOMETHING ON THE WAY THERE!

2. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Try to drop your t-case. Their should be factory spacers now that are above your frame, just take them out and put them below the frame and it should help with a lot of vibration.

3. yeababy

yeababy Registered Member

newby to this but sure i read somewhere that u need to change drive line angles or something as well could be wrong

4. yeababy

yeababy Registered Member

newby to this but sure i read somewhere that u need to change drive line angles or something as well could be wrong

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you using the same tires that you were before the lift?

6. cwilson

YES SIR. BUT I WILL BE PUTTING 35'S ON IT IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE.

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya if it does it with the tires that used to run smooth, yer driveline angle prolly needs to be adjusted....did u have to get yer driveline lengthened when u did this?? If not yer DL may be a lil too short now, so if yer gonna have to get a new DL I'd suggest maybe a CV highangle DL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cwilson

NO I DIDNT HAVE TO LENGTHEN THE DRIVELINE. WOULD PULLING MY FRONT DL HELP ANY DO YOU SUPPOSE?

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

unless yer running it in 4wd then no the front DL wont affect anything

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    NO I DIDNT HAVE TO LENGTHEN THE DRIVELINE. WOULD PULLING MY FRONT DL HELP ANY DO YOU SUPPOSE?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at where the rear driveshaft goes into the t-case at. It may be in there, but not "enough" in there.

11. cwilson

AND HOW DO I KNOW IF "ITS IN THERE JUST NOT ENOUGH?" IF I DROP THE TRANSFERCASE DOWN 2" WONT THAT STRESS THE TRANNY/ENGINE SINCE IT IS A HARDMOUNT FROM THE ENGINE, TO THE TRANNY, TO THE TCASE? I LOOKED AT THE YOKE ON THE FRONT OF THE TCASE AND IT LOOKS LIKE IF I ARTICULATED THE FRONT END AT ALL IT WOULD BIND UP. WOULDNT LOWERING MY TCASE HELP ME OUT THERE AS WELL? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

You need to run a c/v rear driveline with the pinion angle set 2 degree's lower than the driveline- (it will require you to cut and turn the axle and [censored] can your shims if you have any in there) then leave the t-case in the stock spot and hopefuly the front will function for a few -Jesse

13. cwilson

YEA BUT I CANT REALLY AFFORD A CV DRIVELINE RIGHT NOW. A COUPLE OF INCHES OF CLEARANCE TO SAVE SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS ON MY EXCLUSIVE DAILY DRIVER THAT MIGHT SEE A SNOWY ROAD ON THE WAY TO THE MONTAINS ISNT A REAL HARD DECISION FOR ME RIGHT NOW. WILL THE DROPPING THE TRANSFER CASE MOUNT WORK ANYBODY? I KNOW ITS NOT THE BEST WAY FOR A HARD CORE WHEELING RIG, BUT LIKE I SAID, THIS ISNT MY WHEELER ITS JUST A STREETER.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    ON MY EXCLUSIVE DAILY DRIVER

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is driven to work everyday . I only went four inches myself . I tried shims at first . Some told me to drop my case . I ended up running a CV . Yes they are expensive , but well worth it . I am still paying on mine every credit card statement /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

well these are usually 419.00 -discounted to 377$ - you may want to try dropping the case and living with vibs- if its not wirth it to you sell the lift and keep it stock height -Jesse

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is yours a slip yoke NP 208 or NP241? Reason I ask is lifting a truck and not lengthening the driveshaft with a slip yoke transfer case tends to cause vibes. As is the steeper driveshaft angle is not good for a slip yoke (more vertical forces acting on a horizontal spline shaft), but combine that with less spline engagement is just asking for trouble especially if you are planning on running larger tires and taking it offroad. You need to have the driveshaft lengthened which will run some $$$ (and may not take care of all the vibes) or you can do it right and get a CV shaft made. A few more bucks but probably less in the long run. It's either that or live with vibes (or put it back to stock). Also you might be able to shim it to get the vibes out, but your driveshaft and splines will probably not last as long (costing more money down the line). I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's physics and facts.