Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibrator Anyone????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Jun 9, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I thought that would get your attention!!

1986 K5 Silverado

Question #1:
    I've got a wicked vibration at around 70km (that's around 40mph for you American guys). I think the rear driveshaft is out of balance. I've replaced the u-joints about 6 months ago and they still seem to be OK. The Truck is vibrating so much, the Transfer case came loose from the mount. Could it be anything else??

Question #2:
    I bought a new rebuit 700R with a shift kit. How long should it take to remove and replace? I was going to do it myself, but JB transmission (local shop) stated about $350.00 including fluids and a tranny cooler. He said you cannot properly flush out the rad just in case of some of the crap was left in from my old smoked tranny, and a tranny cooler is highly recommended in order to bypass the rad, (and obviously for better tranny cooling). Is this a good deal???

Crazy Canuck
    Shak'in on down the road

Blazers Forever

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like a good deal........My tranny guy charges $300(CDN) for the R and R labour alone. And make sure you spend the extra money and get the biggest tranny cooler money can buy.

As for the vibration, check your yokes out as well. You may have cracked or stretched one. And check your tires, too.

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Have you looked for the weight on the drive shaft? Maybe it came off. You might be able to see where there used to be one.

I just got my tranny cooler also,, haven't put it on yet, but it brings something to mind... you say in your post "in order to bypass the rad" I think there was a post a while ago about either going through the rad or bypassing it.
    I bought the smallest "heavy duty" Summit one. And it says if you have a heavy duty one, you can hook it up either way, but if it's a regular one, then you MUST also use the radiator. Now, I thought the general consensus of the list was to bypass the rad, thinking that the rad would make the fluid hotter, than not using it. But to me, if the dudes who make the cooler indicate that using the rad would have to make it cooler than not using it, I think we had it backwards.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The trick with running it through the radiator is to put the aux cooler on the output side of the cooler in the radiator. Heat transfers much better to a liquid than to air. Then the aux cooler brings the fluid temp down even more before sending it back to the tranny.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com