Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!w/ pictures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 29, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I finally got that last STUBORN body mount bolt out... this is what I had to do...

First I had to bring my little welder across the yard to the carport where the blazer currently sits...
    Then I tested the welder out on a scrap piece of metal...
    Then I went to try to weld the nut to the cage so it wont spin, well I couldn't get an arc. There was to much rust.
    So then I packed the welded up and put it back in the shed.
    Then I pulled out the crappy 4.5" grinder (haven't fixed my good 5" grinder yet) and started grinding away at the cage/bolt.
    After about 5 minutes the cage had a bunch of cuts into it so i was able to pry it up, from the center-out. (The spot welds really are strong!)
    Then I started grinding away at the nut.... went through (3) 4.5" cut off wheels and it still wasn't cut enough. The grinder was to big, so instead of 2 nice cuts all the way through, it has about 10 little cuts where ever the cut off wheel went...
    So I gave up on grinding because I was out of 4.5" cut off wheels. So I grabbed the 3/4" socket and ratchet and tried to get the bolt out. The nut spun so I put some vice grips on it. After about 10 minutes of the nut with the vice grips on spinning (I was trying to pry the vice grips against something so it would stop the spinning) then finally the vise grips pryed against part of the cage that uused to be over top. The bolt actually spun after I hit it many times with the chisel/hammer previously. So after another 10 minutes of dicking around, the bolt came out!!!!!!!!!!
    God, what a relief! It was a miracle! I dont see how the bolt came out though, the threads are all grinded at the top from the grinder. I have some pics on the camera I will up load in a miinute to see the nut and bolt after I got them out!
    Also, I ended up cutting my floor up more than I wanted to, but in the end it was worth it because I got the bolt out!! woohoo!

Here are the pictures................................

No cage now:

[​IMG]

The bolt and nut after they came out:

[​IMG]

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

good, know take that body off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hopefully I will beable to hoist it up this weekend. I need to buy some hoists and take some wires off, then it should come up /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Nothing like a good old fashion grind/cut/weld/bash-on-one-bolt-for-an-hour-fest!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Stubborn old bolts /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Glad you won this battle

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i had a seat belt bolt that was stripped(the star'd kind) and it cost me about $60 bucks in drill bits, grinding disc and extractors to get that bastard out.......IT SURE FEELS GOOD WHEN IT FINALLY IS OUT. So I am glad the bolt is out for ya! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah! That sounds like quite the hassle too.
    I sure am happy its out /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. 85mudblazin

yea one of my rear seat bolts is stripped out in the star part. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Save those parts.....

Someday when the truck is all pretty it will be nice to still have them to show people and say "Yeah, it looks nice NOW, but this is the kind of stuff I had to deal with..."

It's hard for people to imagine the "lost hours" that go into projects like ours...there are tons of small time-wasting things that must be accomplished and most people can never see or appreciate them.

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hurray!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.Glad you got it out!!.I think drilling it would have done less damage,but oh well--it's out now!.I usually throw bolts like that as far as I can into the nearby woods--it makes me feel better!--and it gives me false hope when playing around with my metal detector(I've found a lot of my "pitched parts"with it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif).
    Those seat belt bolts can be a suck pill too--GM used red locktite on them,and usually they are stuck so good,I have ripped the nut right out of the rusty floor,even after heating them up with a torch--and if they break,they wont drill like most other bolts,they must be super hard or something--I turned 4 drill bits blue before I got one of them out before,had to sharpen the drills about 10 times,and even tried to harden them by heating them up and quenching them in oil,before I got it out!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Save those parts.....

Someday when the truck is all pretty it will be nice to still have them to show people and say "Yeah, it looks nice NOW, but this is the kind of stuff I had to deal with..."

It's hard for people to imagine the "lost hours" that go into projects like ours...there are tons of small time-wasting things that must be accomplished and most people can never see or appreciate them.

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

woah I never thought of that. I will keep a few things, so I can do that. thanks for that suggestion!

13. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

yuk!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That all looks painfully familiar...

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I just checked my LMC truck catalog, and the body mounts and bolts are 280$ for the full set /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Get polly ones from ORD for ~$100

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

is that a complete set with bolts and everything?

17. 85mudblazin

no but you could just buy some long bolts or you could get a body lift which will come with the bolts.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

LMC isnt that great on pricing
    you can get the chinese knockoff stuff way cheaper locally then from LMC

on the Bronco project I have found LMC isn't even close.
    I have a connection for panels now, we bought fenders floor pans doors tailgate and some other stuff for pretty reasonable pricing
    We did try Jeff's Bronco graveyard for some items but they royally fawked the order
    3 months delivery time for stainless body bolt kit and a few other knick nacks

the stuff is available it is just hard to track down.

I am getting a price list for the front clip on my truck I will see if I can get one for the rear tailgate area for you

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    LMC isnt that great on pricing
    you can get the chinese knockoff stuff way cheaper locally then from LMC

on the Bronco project I have found LMC isn't even close.
    I have a connection for panels now, we bought fenders floor pans doors tailgate and some other stuff for pretty reasonable pricing
    We did try Jeff's Bronco graveyard for some items but they royally fawked the order
    3 months delivery time for stainless body bolt kit and a few other knick nacks

the stuff is available it is just hard to track down.

I am getting a price list for the front clip on my truck I will see if I can get one for the rear tailgate area for you

[/ QUOTE ]

oh aren't they? Well I will ask for a price quote from Lordco when I need the stuff, thats where I got my tailpan from last year. And I will look at JC whitney too. Darn LMC! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

TTT for bigyellowjimmy