Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

victory is mine! woohoo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

a while back I had a thread on my 80's f-250 that wouldn't start. Everyone told me to check the batteery, the solenoid, and the starter. Well it was -20 (celsius) for the few weeks I was working on it. now is it +8 or so (celsius) so I charged the battery yesterday, and over night. Then after school i went out and tried it...first time nothing... I tightened the connectors onto the battery post and WALAW! it started in 5 seconds or so.
    what I think is the starter was frozen...and it was trying to start but it couldn't so it went "nuuuuuuuu"...so with the warmer weather is unfrozed (is that a word:grin:) and started right up.
    So probably I will end up getting a new battery for that, and the Jimmy in the spring...
    I just want to thank EVERYONE who helped and suggested things. I will hopefully get new connecters on the cables, and clean everything up for a better connection. Also, its been sitting for around 3+ months, so when I was driving it...darker than the normal white exhaust smoke came out...would that be because the gas is stale?
    THANK!!

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Kinda nice, I have nothin to worry about as far as my starter freezing...my oil pan leak keeps it nice and oiled :D

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

chevy starters dont stay wet long--

Most chevy motors have the exhaust so close to the starter it bakes the moisture right out!--in fact,it causes a lot of hot start problems,especially with headers--my 400 SB would not even make a click when you try to start it when the starter gets heat soaked--after it cools off for 10-15 minites,it cranks over like crazy,like nothing was wrong--thats why the have those solenoid relocation kits....

The ford starters that have the tin cover over the copper contacts is the usual trouble spot on those starters--I've gotten a few more years out of them by filing the contacts clean again,and sealing the tin cover thing with RTV to prevent water getting in there...usually if the starter makes a noise like a constipated person taking a dump its due to low voltage,or a severe overload,like an extremely stiff engine....sometimes the starter itself is junk when it does that....:crazy:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

battery's lose power below 0 celcius. Not saying they have NO power below that, but they are not as powerful below that. So when it was colder it probably just didn't have quite enough power to crank her over.

5. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Does this mean you have the blazer unstuck now?:waytogo:

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

You missed my thread, I got it out lightyears ago! :grin:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

congrats steve :waytogo: