Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Victory is mine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Aug 29, 2006.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, some of you might remember back around easter when a lady with no insurance ran into the back of the wife's durango, while she was at a dead stop..

she's made no attempt to pay the 450 bucks to fix the truck.. the only contact we've had is when her boyfriend calls and yells at me to accept a junkyard tailight, or she herself demands more estimates 'cause she thinks we're accusing her of causing more damage that what she feels she caused..

Her boyfriend found out the hard way that I'll argue with him until his cell phone discharges, and the additional estimates she asked for were all way higher than the 450 I first asked for..

After giving her all the time in the world, we finally had our day in small claims court yesterday.. I brought documentation of my attempts to work with her, and I brought pictures of the damage.. (she broke the tailight, and scraped & dented the lower quarter panel on the drivers side).. all she said the entire hearing was what liars we were, and that all she'd agree she damaged was the tailight..

Anyway, the magsitrate reviewed everything, and he found for us, awarding full damages asked plus court costs.

Now, I know full well that I may never see a dime of it, but I accomplished two things - one, she now has another judgement on her record, and two, the BMV is aware she was driving without insurance. Her record has been flagged, so if she gets stopped, or the BMV does a check, she's toast.

The crazy thing is, if she had just paid us 20 bucks a week, she'd have settled it by now.. I guess what pissed me off the most was that she was in the wrong, but felt she was entitled to dictate how much she was willing to pay.. one time I told her boyfriend that I wasn't f**king burger king, and he couldn't have things his way..

The real crazy thing? She's living in a federally subsidized aprtment, driving a car newer than mine ( an 05 Stratus ), and not paying insurance and driving like an idiot.. and she's accusing US of being the bad guys? WTF..

So, the payments start next month, and I'm wonderig what their reaction will be when they open their mailbox.. they don't live that far away.. hopefully they don't come over, or you'll be watching me on the news, lol..

Tom

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

People have alot of nerve... I've never driven a day without insurance.. The judge should have thrown the book at her for that chit...

Sounds like a democrap... Entitled and abusing the system...

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Imagine Ray Nagin with boobs, and you get the idea..

Tom

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Request (and pay for) a certified copy of the judgment immmediatly. File it in the mortgage records in the district (County) court where she lives.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha, nice... :haha: I'm getting an unfortunately good mental image of that.... :doah:

6. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

It makes you wonder if people like that really convince themselves they are in the right/justified.... or do they know they are jerks trying to screw over another innocent person. And Im not sure which is worse.

She sounds like one of those type of people that are a leech on society, and yet still think its society that owes them something/everything just for being born.

Glad you got your victory. :)

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2! Glad to hear that the system worked for the best.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thank you.. it's times like this when my CK5 membership pays for itself..

I will be getting the signed judges order by the weekend. Right now, I have the magistrates summary of findings.

dumb question, but is filing the judgement there something that will prevent her from buying a house in the future? She's living with her BF in an apartment now..

Tom

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. Or from selling anything that she may have or inherit. It also shows up on her credit report.

In most places you need a certified (rather than just signed) copy of the judgment which you can get at the clerks office in the small claims court. They run about $10 here. Then just ask someone where to file it in the records. Here it is in district court. In many states it is in county court. That costs another $20 here.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that is some good to know stuff!

WTG on keeping cool and using the courts 4by

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

in new york state its insurance card first then dmv to get plates and reg.

then dmv to cancel reg and turn in plates. then green card to drop at insurence comp to cancel policy.

or not pay your bill and thay call dmv with in 48 hrs and you are s.o.l.

if your reg has no insurence for so long you must turn in plates and pay super big fine or take the # of days with out and x2 that and wait that long before new plates and reg can be given to that car. yes the car. so dont try and sell it and make money as the new owner wont be able to reg it. :haha:

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Some states if you show a judgement has been awarded you can have thier license cancelled until judgement is satisfied!! or they at least make payments

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

New Orleans transplant? :confused:

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Not that I know of..same entitlement mentality, though..

Tom