Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

video camera problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a panasonic MiniDV palcorder, it used a USB to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer. Usually when I plug it in, a little thing in my tool tray pops up. When I go to unplug the camera from the computer, I have to click that to "safely remove device" and then Ican unplug the camera. I went to do that today, and the little thing never popped into my tool tray. BUT I went onto my sisters desktop, and it sshows the camera plugged in, like it should.
    Why wouldn't my desktop show it too? It's bizarre. I had to use my sisters desktop to unplug iit safely. If I don't do it this way, and just unplug it, my memory card messes up and erases all the pictures.
    HELP!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i think winxp solves that problem, not sure though, i dont know of a work around other than take the memory stick out then un plug it

3. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I'd check the system devise manager in the control manager and see what the USB controlers look like it should be the last one if there's a ? mark that would be the problem and you can try to reinstal the driver

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will try to do that tomorrow. How do I reinstall a driver?

Branndon, what do you mean windows xp solves my problem:confused:

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i remember when i had windows ME i had to un plug it a certain way like your talking about, but with win xp i dont think thats needed, i think you just unplug it when you want to

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My Olympus digi camera is the same way... Even with WIN2K I have to click on the "stop device" before unplugging it....

Haven't tried it with an XP equipped machine.

But usually when I plug it in, I just get the green arrow thing in the bottom right toobar showing it is plugged it. Nothing pops up.. But my Olympus program does give me the option to pop the program up when the camera is plugged in.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Mike,
    The little arrow your talking about is what I am seeing. Normally when I don't have anything plugged in (harddrive, camera) it doesn't show up. But when I plug in my camera, it usually pops up, and shows me it's connected properly. But when I have to unplug it, I right click on the green arrow guy, and open it up, click on the proper one, and hit close, then in a few seconds it says "safe to remove hardware" then I can unplug it. Then the arrow goes away. Now the arrow doesn't pop up on my desktop, but on my sisters it does.
    If I were to just unplug it,,, I've tried it before, it just wrecks the memory card.
    To come to think about it, the little green arrow should always be there right now because I have my portable hard drive hooked up right now.
    This is strange!!

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hmmm.. THats odd. Wonder if the software that pos that up is configurable and it somehow got reconfigured into not popping up the arrow? Hmm.... I dont have anythign here that I can plug in to check mine...

9. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Did you try rebooting your system and trying again?

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL I was just going to say... I had my computer running all night because the virus scan was running.
    But I restarted it a few minutes ago, and now it popped up!!
    Weird.

Problem solved.
    Thanks!!