Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Video Card Poll

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Mar 24, 2007.

?

Which Vid card maker?

1. ATI

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Nvidia

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Nekked eating cheetos while using a typewriter

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to go SLI. My mobo is already set up for it with pci-e slots.

I know I will also need a bigger power supply.

So whats better, ATI or nvidia?

I've always had ATI stuff and never had a problem, never used nvidia.

Which cards should I look at? I really only want to spend 500 at most.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've just always been happier with my ATI cards. I have an Nvidia card for the last 2 cards. They were the cheaper all around better options at the time. Next time around, its got to be an ATI card. I need to see what they are like nowadays.

I remember the first ATI card I bought was the original Radeon card. Compared to the Nvidia card I was switching from it looked AMAZING in comparison.

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Why not just go with a new nvidia 8800 that will out preform a sli? Then later on you can add the match for sli.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

personally I am not going SLI until I can get 16 pipelines. Which is just coming around and I have yet to see a board for sale to the public with the technology.

In case you didn't know, most of the new cards have 16 pipelines for processing power to flow through. When you run SLI on the common SLI boards that have been around as of late, they cut it down to 8 pipelines per card, whether the card is capable of more or not. So you still only have 16, just more power in that 16. New boards are coming that allow 8 per card like they are intended to be. Ought to be a BIG power improvement. I am just getting a single PCI-e slot board until I see this technology mature a little, then maybe I'll go SLI.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It's already out

The Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe runs true 16x with both cards installed, hince the name A8N32. I have had mine for a year and a half now and it's great. No more going to 8x when both cards are installed. Not that expensive either. Asus makes another board now that also is true 32x, but I haven't done any research on it.

Here is an article on it http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-a8n32-sli-deluxe.html

A drawback of the original nForce 4 SLI chipset from NVIDIA was support for only reduced PCI Express speed from x16 to x8 in case of a multi-GPU setup. While it was clear that additional bandwidth would hardly improve performance in case of two GPUs, in the light of the fact that NVIDIA is mulling about quad-GPU setups a more advanced nForce4 SLI – the nForce4 SLI x16 has been developed.
    The new core-logic provides two full-speed PCI Express x16 slots for graphics cards, which should potentially boost performance. But in case of AMD chipsets the company had to cut-down bandwidth for central processing unit, which may negatively affect performance. Whether it does, the review will explain.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe: Package and Accessories

ASUS usually packages its graphics cards into bright, gaudily-colored boxes, but mainboards are quite a different matter, especially top-end mainboards like the A8N32-SLI Deluxe model. The restrained colors and the lack of multicolored pictures create the image of a solid, reliable product – and the new mainboard from ASUS is exactly like that.
    The new package design from ASUS uses only three colors besides the gray tones: bright orange, light green and yellow. The name of the series the A8N32-SLI Deluxe belongs to – AiLife – is in orange. The same color emphasizes the purpose of the product – “Gaming”. In the bottom right corner you can read some info about the technical characteristics of the mainboard and see a few logotypes (AMD, NVIDIA, and Corsair). You can flip back the front side of the packaging to learn some more information about the mainboard, including a detailed list of its characteristics:
    [​IMG]

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sweet, I've used a lot of Asus boards over the years and only ever had one problem(with the board I am using right now actually, and a reflash took care of it).