Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Video for you desiel guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Hell ya!! Soot grinders rule!!
    I love leaving stangs and camaros in a black cloud.:D

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Nope the Duramax in Chevy's trucks is a 6.6L V8:D There was a V6 in development to put in Suburbans and light duty pickups i.e 1/2 tons but I am not sure what happened with that.

Ira

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There is a 6 cylinder "Duramax", in the medium duty trucks.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I was thinking "small 6 cylinder" not the big OTR 6 cylinders:D . I also assumed it was a V6:doah:

Ira

8. Westcoast

Westcoast Registered Member

The cummins is going down this year, there is a dmax making 1000 hp with lots more left with tuning, on fuel alone without even any water/meth, and it is street driven. It is easier and cheaper to make more power with a dmax than the cummins, the cummins was been king for a long time but the dmax will take the crown this year, there will be a few in the 1000-1200hp range:D

9. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

thats a pretty cool video i just dont know what i would do driving something with 1000+ horsepower i wouldnt be driving it for very long thats all i can say.

10. rjfguitar

The B series Cummins is an inline 6.

The Dmax and Power Strokes are all V8's.

11. rjfguitar

Eh, don't get too excited yet. While the Dmax has become a serious contender giving many Dodges a run for their money, it's not top dog yet, and I doubt it will be.

A Dmax top end is stronger than a Cummins top end, but a Cummins bottom end is stronger than a Dmax bottom end.

The Dmax's are having problems with rods and mains in big HP applications, once you 0-ring a Cummins head it's ready to rock and roll for 800-900HP.

As far as the dyno run that took place a couple of months back.... there has been dozens apon dozens of Cummins Dodges that have broke the 1000HP barrier for a couple of years now.

Out of the box with a simple adjustable box, the Dmax is better than the Cummins, but not by much. stick a set of studs and a real turbo in the Dodge and it takes a Dmax on drugs to compete if it isn't running 1700* on the pyro.

12. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i dont know man, i was watching xtreme4x4 awhile back when the did the urban gorilla, and gale banks himself specially tuned that dmax. it was cranking 700+hp and like 1400lbs tq. + on stock internals.. thats ****ing impressive!! dont care what u say.. dmax owns anything out there now a days..

13. Westcoast

Westcoast Registered Member

I doubt dozens upon dozens of cummins have made 1000hp on straight #2, they do make good power but they have been in dodge trucks for 18 years, and in production for how long? the dmax is only 6 years old and is already showing great potential. There are a few pulling trucks, both dmax's and cummins that are obviously making huge power but will probably never see a dyno since their owners dont care for hp #'s. 1004/1958 on straight #2 on the stock block/crank, it will be a good year for the dmax, too bad mines gotta stay stock for a while, too many other toys to spend $ on.

14. rjfguitar

Gale Banks is a dumb dumb..... He is not much for respected in the hot rod diesel hobby.

Yes, 700/1400 is nice, but not special. The Cummins, Dmax, and even the 7.3 all can do those numbers for you on stock internals, thats a modern deisel for you. Thats like saying someone has a 500HP small block Chevy. Sure, it's a lot of power but it's not special. It's just a really hopped up motor.

The Dmax is showing good potential, but that 1000HP Dmax didn't have stock internals....;)

I can honestly say I don't think either engine really has anything on the other.

15. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I looked into both options, a cummins, and a duramax for a newer truck purchase. I also looked into upgrades. From my perspective the cummins seemed WAY cheaper and easier to mod. The parts are everywhere for a cummins, and it doesn't seem there is a ton of stuff out there for the dmax. I guess it just depends what you want to do and what you are into. For me, a cummins would be my next purchase. It just seems more affordable, plus I have a buddy who races his cummins so finding parts and tech wouldn't be a problem. His truck currently runs a 10.8 quarter mile with no drugs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamjosh/227629576/

16. rjfguitar

The Dmax is a little better in stock form than the Cummins.

Their turbo's seem to do a little better than the Cummins and can handle a little bit more fuel, plus with the Allison they say just a Trans-Go shift kit goes a long way. With the Dodge autos you have to do both a valve body and a different converter.

Other than that neither really has much on the other, but they both have a ton on the Fords.:p:

17. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

The Duramax in the medium duty GMCs are still a V8....only slightly larger displacement IIRC.

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

A guy at my work had one of the new Duramax's with the Allison trans, i guess i didn't look hard enough at it, thought it was a v-6, but upon further invetsigation, it was a v-8.

The major thing i liked about the truck he had, was the fact as it was running, i walked by it, and almost didn't know it WAS running,,,just a slight hint of that Diesel sound. I thought this was awsome that they could quiet down a Diesel engine, and still produce some interesting numbers, with more to add with mods.

19. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

20. rjfguitar

Eh, all the very new diesels with multi injection sound like crap. A diesel is supposed to sound like a diesel when you fire it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiiJHt0SBa4