Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Video from camcorder to my computer ??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Oct 23, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got about 1/2hr of video on a Hi8 camcorder that I want to "rip" to my computer. The camera is a Sony DCR-TRV320; the video is on the tape, not the MemoryStick. There's what looks like a 4-pin FireWire connector on the connections panel, but there's no cable with the camera. It's my father-in-law's camera; he doesn't know how to do it.
    Anyone able to help?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont know much about cameras, but for my panasonic miniDV I had to buy a special cord and card to put into my computer.
    TTT for you though

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yep sony uses there own 4pin firewire. So you need a sony (or a 4pin to std 1394 connector) firewire cable, firewire in the the computer (as Steve said a card if you dont have already) and then you will probley have to download some software to import or "rip" the video.

4. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

The software Ive found easiest to use, probably not the best, but the easiest is Windows Movie Maker.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, my laptop already has a 4-pin FireWire connector... so all I need is a cable and some software, eh? Would this be a Sony app, or would a 3rd-party app do the trick?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Your camera should have come with some software, but I think Winxp has it built in, movie maker I believe it's called.

I started trying to do this on my PC but gave up and went to Mac. As much as I want to bust my Mac friends chops, Mac seems ready-made to do this, hardware and software.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

then you just need the 4pin to 4pin sony wire, connect the two, if you have windows XP do the windows update and down load the mvie maker... I've not used it but when I start importing video I think I'm going to learn on Pinnical studio 8 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif