Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Video Game Developing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 18, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone know anything about it? I have a game I'm writing, I just have no idea how to get it developed (or if it's even worth developing).

2. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

From what i know its a lot of work and a lot of money....especially towards the end of making it the developers sometimes literally live at the studio and dont go home.. But, you may be wasting your time unless you can manage to get a designer position. I dont think they really accept outside script ideas, unless you are some famous script writer or from hollywood. The whole legality of it I think and them having to buy your intellectual property to develop...

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Aww that sucks. I had this awesome niche idea I've been mulling over for months, and just finally organized and put the ideas down tonight. :rotfl: Figures, I finally nail down an idea I know hasn't been done yet, and it'll cost more than it will profit to make...

I'm sure it will be a lot of work. I have a dozen scenes, and probably more than a dozen characters.

Oh well... I'll copyright the basic written concept for now, and hope I meet a developer who's realllly bored... :rotfl:

4. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

yeah...hopefully. that'd be awesome if you could get someone to make it. it might just be a tough sell bein outside a studio. Also, if you were actually serious about it, you might have to try and more professionally submit it to them maybe.?... i bet some studios get suggestions all the time on how to improve their games and what to do better. as far as emails, i think i might have read that some wont even read them. because of the whole I.P. issue.
    Or if you submit an email....maybe like a professional cover letter type deal and then the actual draft of it.
    Or just maybe brush them of...lol.... But a long time ago I was all into Starcraft, and i thought how me and a friend would often run into one base being rushed and destroyed but having a unit to build stuff left that made it to the others base, but there was no way to trade resources...basically i just suggested something simple like that or make actual use of the ship showed in the intro movie that was destroyed and a terran trade ship. Or add this to Starcraft 2, which has been nowhere in site to be made anyways.. But, blizzard actually did take the time to reply :bow: :D and say thanks for the suggestion. but i bet just deleted the email after and that was that... :doah:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ah well... Thanks for keeping me realistic :rotfl:

I have a friend that's into animation, maybe I'll give it to him to do a cartoon, but it's kind of lame when it's not interactive...

6. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

so...ah....what type of game were you thinkin of? :laugh:

FPS? role-playing? MMO?...

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think FPS... Is that "First person shooting"? Or maybe more like role-playing... All I can come up with for MMO is Mighty Mean Orangutang, and it's definately not that...

I don't wanna give the idea away on the public frequencies, but you basically have to do something before something happens, and you get a whole bunch of challenges to defeat along the way, some of which can kill you. If you don't reach the objective in time, you don't die, but you lose serious points for making it after the time is up. Hmmm.... Sounds like a whole bunch of other games... Basically, it's very customized and niche for a certain group of people, many of whom are probaby not gamers, that's why it probably wouldn't profit much.

8. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

sorry about that...yeah..FPS is a first person shooter...MMO is basically like World of Warcraft (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - MMORPG). haha...nice interpretation of MMO.

haha...yup....extremely vague... :wink1: but thats cool, i wasnt really expecting the whole thing if you were thinking of trying to sell it or send it to a studio.

one thing i did read...might help adjust it yours....is sometimes it is good to try and base it origionally of actual historical things and kinda build from there. Like, some medal of honor type games probably having nothing to do with any actual battles that took place in WWII. But, hey, its has a WWII theme and people can relate somewhat to that, so it is more marketable...i mean look at all of the stupid WWII games. They are good games, but kinda getting a little old now....need somethin new