Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIDEO! - Los Coyotes trail run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, May 6, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It had rained the night before so the trail was unusually free of dust - but also slick. Blazinaire managed to work his open diffs through some heavy stuff without any breakage ( although a t-case slip was a close call /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). There was the stealthy Toyota who was looking less stealthy these days and an IFS Yota who's wheelbase and weight made him the star player at climbing. It ws really cold so most of us ran heavy. This was my first run with the front end locked and the rear stabalized with wrap control so the truck felt completely foreign. It was rather nice not to bounce while climbing from wrap-up and release and having a part-time kit in the np203 allowed a quick shift into 2wd low so I could turn corners without the front tires pushing from the locker. Enjoy -

http://www.echobit.com/video/los-coyotes-2003.wmv

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I'm watching it as i type this...excellent quality and music!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool video!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 28.2 mb /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Good thing I have cable!!/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Watching those hill climbs makes me want to build a very light, medium wheelbase rig...

Rene

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Jakeslim - Thanks - I'm suprised my camera is still working after all the trail dust its seen. There were several other video cameras out there so I'm sure theres other good content that I didnt catch.

Rene - After going out with several Toyotas, i'm thinking of adding one to the family. The slightly longer wheelbase and dramaticly lower weight makes them very potent with the V6 and 35's, even with IFS. For the most part, my v8 is overkill for most trails and is really just weighting me down. The hydraboost was a major bonus on the hills - those who stalled came bouncing back down.. except me - I had 8 full pumps of pedal in the pressure reservoir /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Billy Ray - I saw pics of your rig at Moab on this trip - Nice!

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

awesome video /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Very cool video. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Those Toyotas you ride with never cease to amaze me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Whats up with the AUDI at the end of the vid?

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Those Yotas always suprise me too! Dangit!!!

Sooo.. that Audi Quatro TT was a strange sight. It was a ways in the trail high centered on a rock. It took some good driving to get it that far.. but then they totally misjudged the obstacle there and got hung. Looks like it had been there for at least a few days. Leopard skin high heals in the back, didn't look stolen, we sniffed the trunk seam for signs of foul play.. I think the fine white powder all over the car below the rear view mirror probably spelled out what was really up. The Jeep and th Toys got around it ok (in the middle of the trail), But us fullsize trucks would have had to put a tire on it or at least a rock slider. I hooked a strap to its rim and pulled it off the rocks and to the side of the trail without damaging it so we could get around. All wheel drive doesnt mean 4 wheel drive.. geez!

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

That was a WAY better way to spend 15 minutes at work than actually working!
    Was that little TRD 'Yota locked up in the front?
    The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that Audi was "What a dumbsh!t"

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Excellent Video!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John [​IMG]

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif excellent video

13. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

We demand more !
    Great video

14. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet video!

[ QUOTE ]
    This was my first run with the front end locked and the rear stabalized with wrap control so the truck felt completely foreign. It was rather nice not to bounce while climbing from wrap-up and release...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did none of the other designs that you had work very well?

15. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

thats an awsome video! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif maybe next time i can join!

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The other ones worked well, but were hard to make room for or hard to mount to the frame. I eventually broke each of the other ones by either bending them or shearing them off the frame. This one did the job nicely but does limit my overall flex a little when used with the leaf packs. This is actually the bottom V bar of my 4-link which will replace the leaf packs, I just threw it on before the trip to help control the packs and ended up loving it - pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The video really doesn't do El Hill justice... that thing is STEEP!

Of the k5s I've seen go up the right side two with 1 ton axles and 38" swampers failed while 2 with 1/2 ton stuff and 35s where ableto make it. Who would have thought?

Anyways...what are they charging to get in there now. I want to go back.

Thanks for the vid! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

$15 to get in. And my 1/2 ton on 35''s definately would not be able to get up El Hill /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You would have with a locker! Stopped into your work today, but you were out back.

El Hill IS steep. Still blown away that the IFS toyota made it up the left side of the right trail.. man!

20. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

awesome!

How do you get video onto your computer?