Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Video of a H2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gokartergo, Sep 16, 2003.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Found this over on pirate.. Gotta love IFS...

H2

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

WOW!!! I bet he feels like a tard!!! Yeah, those are some capable offroad machines. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Kris

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Found this over on pirate.. Gotta love IFS...

H2

[/ QUOTE ] I dont think IFS had anything to do with it!

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what a joke /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

that guy is sucking bad. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is what happens when the drivers first and immediate response to getting a little stuck is to hammer the skinny pedal. Doesnt really have much to do with the rig being a hummer. as much as we all like to make fun of them, in some ways they are superior to stock K5s. IFS or 10 bolt semi floating rear? pick ur poison.

j

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

14 bolt semis in those, I just got what you were saying there. i don't really get how the tie rod busted like that. but yeah a stock k5 doing the same, just romping on it, I could see something letting loose.

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    14 bolt semis in those, I just got what you were saying there.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif basically comparing my 2 biggest "issues" with each rig... i dont like the independant susp up front in the H2... and I dont like the weeny semi-floating rear in some K5s. Naturally, its cheaper to solve the K5s problem... i just think its pretty lame when people bash on the H2 even though their rig wasnt any better in stock form.

j

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I understood after I initially posted, thats why I added the now I get it, should have been more clear. yeah I wouldn't have done that with my k5 how it is now. can't say I would do something like that if my 14 bolt was already under the K5 either.

10. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Do you guys think that like 10 years from now there will be tons of off road parts for the H2? it's a $50,000 dollar truck. I just dont see it where blazer's or jeeps are today as far as great 4 wheelin capability

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I hate to say it, but I abused my K5 and have been with many stock straight axle trucks on trails much more difficult than that and the worst they might get is a blown U-joint in the knuckle causing them to back up and go home. I do see this as an IFS issue since the parts involved to achieve IFS failed. I've been with many IFS rigs out on the trails and they are much more agile and in cotrol than our straight axles - but they are weak by design and more prone to failure in the tough stuff. While this failure was the weak steering tie-rod, it wouldn't have been the weak link in a straight axle and the guy could have limped home without a repair.

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I'm suprised GM didnt beef up the TRE's on the H2's. Ive seen quite a few lifted IFS trucks with broken TRE's. O yeah I dont really understand why people bash the hell out of the H2's. I have never seen a truck from GM that has 35's stock along with a selectable rear locker.

13. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hate to say it, but I abused my K5 and have been with many stock straight axle trucks on trails much more difficult than that and the worst they might get is a blown U-joint in the knuckle causing them to back up and go home. I do see this as an IFS issue since the parts involved to achieve IFS failed. I've been with many IFS rigs out on the trails and they are much more agile and in cotrol than our straight axles - but they are weak by design and more prone to failure in the tough stuff. While this failure was the weak steering tie-rod, it wouldn't have been the weak link in a straight axle and the guy could have limped home without a repair.

[/ QUOTE ] I stand corrected! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

c'mon my ford has takled stuff like that, and its a ford! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i dont understand what happened, why did the tie rod snap? there was no stress on it at all. or maybe i dont know what im talking about. when he hit the stupid pedal, how did that cause a steering component to break? please fogive me if im being dumb, i dont fully understand IFS and its steering.

16. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

I too don't know much about the H2 but it looked to me that as the left tire started to spin power was transfered to the right just as it droped off the rock. Now the right has power but not good traction until hit solid rock and the waight was on it. heavey foot, lots of power and sudden traction POW.

Tells me I better be thinking upgrade to my stock front end /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

IFS-Independent Front STEERING. If you have seen IFS GM P/Us on the trail this should have come as no supprise.

18. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont understand what happened, why did the tie rod snap? there was no stress on it at all. or maybe i dont know what im talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

things dont break without some kind of stress/force on them. Even if his tierod was literally a wet noodle it'd require some stress to break it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

at any rate, yeah IFS sucks, and yeah part of it (the tie rod) broke. Now, how is that worse than a 10-bolt rear axle shaft in a stock K5 snapping like a twig, and having your rear tire fall off on the trail? Neither one sounds like the kind of thing I'd personally like to fix on the trail.

j

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bull...

"uh-ohh"

(no offence intended Mr.Fox, simply a usefull reference)

20. jekbrown

yikers! i musta been un-active when that breakage happened to the UAV. what happened, exactly? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j