Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIDEO of rear diff problem need ur help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by occhevycrusin, Jul 11, 2006.

1. occhevycrusin

occhevycrusin Registered Member

New mag hytec diff cover instal.on way home noticed a clank/click noise in the axle by where the tires mount on only at slow speed-turning. i got a video of it check it out please. anyone have this problem before? http://media.putfile.com/nickstrucknoise

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Couldn't see the video but the noise sounds like something hitting the brake drum. What axle is it?
    All you did was change the diff cover? :confused:

3. occhevycrusin

its the rear axle. it happens on both the right and left side. all i got was the new cover and a afe intake but that wouldnt have anything to do with. it has disc brakes. another person said they had the problem and they added more additive in the oil what do you think?

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

adding the additive is supposed to remove most noises. but i drove around for a week w/o it and when i finally added it i didnt notice a difference. Dunno though thats realy weird

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I meant what kind of axle. :wink1: I'm assuming it's a 14bff if you've converted to disc brakes.

What kind of diff do you have in it? The amount and type of additive can definitely have an effect.

6. occhevycrusin

i dont know what kind of axle it is a 2004 silverado 2wd 4.8lv8 so whatever comes stock on the silverado's. it is an auburn pro series posi trac. i went to kragen and got some special additive in a little tube today and now it doesnt do it but i think i might eventually find what the best oil and additive is and put in new fluid

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, posi diffs are a real pain in the ass. Now that I'm viewing the vid at home, it definitely sounds like clutch chatter from the posi plates, since it's only happening when you're turning and the wheels are travelling different speeds.

Your owner's manual should tell you which oil and additives to use.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, it seems he put some additive in and its all better now :)

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

So he said.