Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Video post question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nofeartruckin00, Sep 3, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

White knight, Borregok5, or anyone who has put a video in a post, i have a question. I have video of Polaris's truck in action from this past weekend, but don't know how to get the video from the camera (non-digital video, regular VHS tape) onto my computer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

do you have USB or USB 2.0 or Firewire ? if you have USB 2.0 or firewire you can get a video capture device or card. with USB you can get it but the quality will be horrible.

3. nofeartruckin00

Just have a regular old USB port. Horrible quality is better than what im doing now (web cam + 6" TV /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ) Maybe i need a trip to Radio Shack?

4. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Radio Shack??????????
    Holly Crap!!!! Why don't you just drive a Furd??

5. nofeartruckin00

Well i wouldn't buy anything from them, just get an idea of what part im looking for. Wait, people at radio shack don't know what they are talking about though, ok, next idea.......... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ???

6. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

They also have a very small selection, if they even have what you want. Kind of like going to 7-11 for major grocery shopping.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

well USB is only 1.2 Mega Bytes a second so that's pretty low video quality but Try this

8. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for your help, now i actually know what im looking for.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Capturing non digital video takes a bit of computing horsepower. If you plan on encoding it on the fly through Windows Media, Real or QuickTime without any editing then you can get a decent 320x240 video resolution at about 15 frames a second with a good single processor Pentium 3 800MHz. If you plan on capturing the video to do some editing then you'll want to capture every frame (29.95 frames per second) at 360x240 resolution minimum which might drop frames without some serious comp power. We used to use Dual P3 800MHz machines to capture 640x480 and it barely made it. A good 1.5GHz might make it with an Osprey or Winnov capture card but I haven't tested any of the gig chips or USB on it yet. If your camera was digital and supported firewire or USB, then you could get away with very little computing power. The analog gear you have eats the CPU cycles heavily with the mathmatics of interpreting your incoming anolog signal and trying to convert it to a digital form. Digital to digital is just a handshake and a transfer. Hope that helps, ask more questions if you need. I've been working on the cutting edge of this stuff for 8 years now.