Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIDEO - San Diego @ Los Coyotes Trail Run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jul 20, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

UPDATE link to the video:
    http://www.echobit.com/video/loscoyotes2002.wmv

Dennis in his sleeper straight axle conversion Toyota was definately the star player this trip. Locked front and rear with good suspension, he stealthily walked up everything with ease. those of us without both ends locked struggled some of the ledges.

UPDATE: link to the pics!
    http://www.echobit.com/fabrication/featured/loscoyotes/fab-featured-loscoyotes.shtml

Great run, can't wait to go back. Almost rolled!!!

A few of us locals are heading up for a run on Sunday. The invitation is extended to everyone close. Just a reminder!

From San Diego:

Take I-15 north to Scripps Poway Parkway east

Follow until it ends at Highway 67 turn left (north)

You will enter into Main Street in Ramona (this becomes Hwy 78 east). This is a good spot to eat and fuel-up.
    Follow Hwy 78 east into Santa Ysabel and turn left (north) on Hwy 79 towards Warner Springs.
    You will travel for about 12 miles until you reach San Ignacio Rd (just before you reach the gas station). Turn right (east).
    Follow this road until you enter the reservation and the main gate.

78 from Escondido to Ramona is closed so take Highland Valley Road or route through Valley Center, up Palomar Mountain to 79 past lake Henshaw.

There you will stop and pay the fee. $15/day $20/overnight. There is water and porta-potties in the campground itself. The person at the gate will provide you with a map of the trails.

Lets meet there at the gate around 10am, we can start running the trails at 10:30 or so. Its not too big of a park so late comers can still catch up.

Additional Info:
    http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/iconboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d39a7c430d4ffff;act=SF;f=1

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: San Diego @ Los Coyotes Trail Run This Sunday (Tommorow)

im workin on being ready i dono if i will be tho . couldnt get a set of wheels for the 37s /forums/images/icons/frown.gif so high rpms we go /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'll bet you could trailer it up there! I'm prepping the truck right now, will be there!

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'll be.................at work. Are you going to Blazer Safari? I want to be on film.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

At Truckhaven Hills? Definately. It's one of my favorite events! And a great one to film too.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

kewl pics.wish i still lived in cali

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

So do I, its a small group here and would benifit from a few more trucks.

This was an odd outing for me, first since the conversion. the things I though it would walk up, it didn't and the things I thought were unpassible, it walked right up... go fig!

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

UPDATE link to the video:
    http://www.echobit.com/video/loscoyotes2002.wmv

Dennis in his sleeper straight axle conversion Toyota was definately the star player this trip. Locked front and rear with good suspension, he stealthily walked up everything with ease. those of us without both ends locked struggled some of the ledges.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

awesome video /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Kewl video Mike!! (again /forums/images/icons/cool.gif)

It looks like a testimony to the importance of having a front locker as well as a rear!!

Rene

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Super sweet video! And that Yota (might get in trouble here!) ROCKED! That thing was smashing all sorts of obstacles! Too cool! I can't wait to get out for some serious wheeling soon! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Great job on the video! (Like always!)

-Dan

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can say that again. I was disapointed on how a couple 2 foot ledges spaced the width of my wheelbase could stop me in my tracks without one, yet other things which looked too steep yet lacking in major potholes, it powered up easily. I'm still waiting for the Ox locker... if they ever release a D60 version /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

The 57's made for an interesting time when the front end was in the air, spongy but predictable.

14. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

mike,
    me an dale had a killer time. we made it home on the wasted wheel bearing, the spare axle's holding
    up fine, i found another set to get an replace the one i broke. i think the tire can be fixed.
    the side wall hole wasn't that big. nice having the C02 air tank along. dennis's little toy worked
    well as did the orange thing for this run. too bad we had too many broken parts to continue.
    but there's next time, eh?
    Hoserr

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your not kidding about that Toy, It really looked stock at first glance other than sitting a little higher. The straight conversion looked factory. A little closer look at the front third member and it brought about some suspicion that there might be more than meets the eye. He ran with the AC on up some of the hardest hills and made it look far too easy. Very impressive and stealth. That Jeep ran locked in the front but open in the back, made it up some crazy stuff too. Tim was his typical go getting self and made it up El Hill, even after blowing a rear tire half way up (can't exactly stop and fix it). A couple broken 1/2 ton u-joints on the front shafts and a small dent on the yota ended up being the only carnage . I'm aching to go back out!

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You bet theres next time! We missed a few other people in the group who showed up late and ran Appian Way (Old Mine trail), then up Dangerous Rd. A Wagoneer, CJ and a Land Rover would have made for some fun. Good to see you got the beast back, I didn't doubt you would. Where did you stop on the way out, we lost you on the main road???

17. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

we turned right. went over to gas pump in Warner Springs for refreshment an petrol. then we stopped at KFC in Ramona for more refreshments an grub. mike was able limp home on his broke axle without damaging the shafts, but he did bugger up the seal. I've wheeled with 'yota more than a few times. the only thing that stops it are horse/power hill climbs. he's anxious to go back also as his damage was minimal. we got back to the ocean aboot 7 in the evening, if we kept going it woulda been a real short night or a long Monday!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Borrego, I called Drivetrain Direct about the Ox locker for the 60, they said it should be available in a couple of months and they are preselling them for... are you ready for this? $1500 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . I decided to go for the ARB... </font color>

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Ahh, we turned left on 79. We drove all the way to the store at Lake Henshaw looking for you! Hahah. good to hear Mike got back with just a seal damaged, having that front locker and no hubs to unlock must have really banged up the shafts at the joint. Wow, 7pm? We were back near 5:30. I filled up with gas in San Marcos before we left, the whole trip only used a little under 3/4 of a tank. Next time we go and play near you all! Inkopah, Alpine or the Border? Give Dennis the URL to the video and tell him we'd love to have him back out, but hes got to run with the front unlocked so we can get some action shots on him (handicap?, lol). Toys aren't supposed to wheel that well!!!

20. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeeooch! (Grumble)... well.. hmmm. Dangit! I guess I'll procede forward with the onboard air project since I may need it anyhow. Good footwork, I haven't been able to get a response from anyone at OX. hmmm, thats dissapointing!