Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIDEO - Tierra Del Sol at Truckhaven Hills with the So Cal Big Dogs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Mar 3, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

This weekend was the Tierra Del Sol event. There was a good showing of the regulars, full size Chevy's but still a Jeep dominated event. I broke a leaf spring during an extraction, I was dug into the ditch pretty hard. As always, the group was quick to lend a hand for extractions, trail repairs and steering box disassembling.

Video: Music by The Shooters, local band and my neighbors.
    http://www.echobit.com/video/TDS-2003.wmv

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Nice Video

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. There was quite a bit of action that wasn't filmed.
    One of the random trucks rolling around TDS, nice build!

[​IMG]

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

That was some pretty cool 3-Wheeling! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

hey mike that looks like the guy from Azusa Canyon once again nice vid cool tunes too!!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

nice video

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sweet video looks like you all had lots of fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Love that shot of you dropping your front right corner on that ledge. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Looks like all that tube did it's job.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, it was a blast. There was a mud pit out there too but I managed to get broken up just before everyone wandered over there. The tubing has served it purpose well. Its just flexible enough to keep me from getting hung up on it, and just solid enough to protect the sheet metal and lights. I think I'm at the point where using the leaf spring to locate my axle is no longer an option. I broke a rear spring and bent a stiff front Rancho leaf, both at the front right hangers. I'm thinking of adding link bars and using shackles at both ends of the leaf packs or 1/4 eliptical. The real question is whether or not to keep the existing frame and add weight or build a lighter frame and try and keep the weight the same.

10. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

nice video..lots of 3wheelin'! looks fun, i like the blazer that went to the right and nailed his nice front bumper!! and the end the blazer on that huge tube!!

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Oh, you must mean the poster child for why you need crossover steering, that was me. My stock draglink made sure that I always took really good right turns whenever the drivers front tire dropped down... whether I wanted to or not. I think half of us out there on this trip were suffering from this problem. It definately played a large role in the obstacles I could (and couldn't)take on.

12. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Sweet video! Ohio looks completely different! LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Cool, a little too slow for me, guess ill never be a 100% fan of rock crawlin /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That depends on who you break away from the group with! Try following "Crazy Andy" for a while in his K10. Theres nothing slow about that. In fact, thats never in any of the videos because I'm too busy playing catch up!

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey my truck is famous. I can see the rear end of it in the backroud of that picture. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Nice Video Mike, I still cant believe you drove to the welder with a broken main leaf spring. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Just downloading as I type..... gettin excited already! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your right, that is yours. I was thinking it was Estebans. That was a fun run, but I definately broke down too soon. Did you get to the mud hole? It was a little freaky driving that far with a broken spring, even freakier hitting the snow in the peaks on the way home knowing that it could give at any time. I like to drive it like I stole it... its no fun putting around! When are you coming back down next?

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

We did make it to the mud hole. Larry and Chris both went through it full bore. Larry was bouncing off the walls like a bumper car and almost wrecked it when he flew out of the ruts. Chris went through it like a mad man with his 502 Ram Jet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Larry and Esteban both went through it like driving Ms. Daisy. I think we are comming back down in October for the Blazer Safari or whatever they call it. Its October 17-19 I believe. Its on the SCBD calender on the website. Next time I wont be so conservative with my truck, they still had a repair order open on it in the body shop and the insurance company didnt want me driving my truck because it hadn't been fixed completely. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I really dont like the insurance company anyways.

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

very nice...next time I'll be in it... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

nice vid, id love to join you guys on your next trip! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif