Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Views on Straight Out Dual Exhaust?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Jul 27, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Has anyone run their dual exhaust staight out the rear before, and how much does the eaxhaust really come into the cab. I rarely drive with the rear glass down. Do the rear spoliers help out? I'm getting a FlowMaster and new tail pipes soon and really like the 3" out-the-rear look. - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

I have duallies out the back, and it does come in the truck at speed. a spoiler will definitely help. i don't have one, so i open the sliding widows to get a draft going out the back.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a diesel so fumes are a lot more noticable. It has duals straight out the back and will choke you with fumes with the rear window down, at any speed and with a spoiler. With the rear window up I have not noticed any fumes at all.

5. The pipes were ran out the back of mine when i bought it.
    The fumes from the old 305 were very bad with the window down.After i lifted the K5 I was wheeling with some friends and smashed one pipe flat and ripped the other off climbing a creek bed.Mine now come out the sides!!!They look beter out the back to me,but I built it for wheeling not looks.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention the problems with straight out the back exhaust when fourwheeling. I bent the right side pipe clear under the rear axle when trying to climb a short but very steep bank out of a creek. I couldn't make it up and I was forced to back down. At the time I had the 18" long by 3.5" diameter chrome tips on it and the pipes were tucked up as tight as possible against the bumper and side of the hitch in an effort to keep this from happening. For now I have simply removed the chrome tips and hacked off about 6" of pipe......so no clearance problems anymore, though I do plan on re-routing the pipes to exit on the sides.
    As another side note, I do not notice any exhaust fumes with the rear top removed.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My Dad's buddy owns a muffler shop,and he ran flowmaster's on my blazer with 3 inch pipe straight out.After he called me to pick it up I was driving home with all the windows down including the rear,I noticed the smell of exhaust and got dizzy....went back to the shop to have it redone and have the pipes come out to angle pointing to the corners of the blazer...it worked no more smell... plus it's a lot louder the way I did it!!

just my input..

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My pipes point toward the corners and I still smell the exhaust sometimes. Smells kinda good actually. Maybe its the gas in my veins or the oil on my brain...

90K5

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Mine had 3 inch out each side right behind the rear wheel I would get exhust in whit the rear window open, now that I changed it to on 3 inch on the left side it better, Why I dont know [​IMG].

I still say that the OEM y-pipe that has 2 1/4 to 3 inch single works just a good at the rpms I run!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

10. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I've got 2.5" pipes out the sides behind the rear wheels, no spoiler and the fumes still come in. Alittle fumes beat the scotching heat so I live with it.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

11. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

My exhaust runs straight out the back, because I wanted the least amount of bends possible, and I think it looks better. When the back window is down I do smell the exhaust, but I like the smell so it does not bother me.The system consists of 21/2 inch pipes going straight back with two, two chamber flowmaster mufflers and 4in. by 20in. chrome tips. It sounds awesome, but I have to be careful when I am off roading.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Currently I run a single 3" pipe at the corner of the body, 45 degrees because I didnt want the bend, I got it stuffed in the sand when I was on the Bump Dump (look at small pic below). I am getting ready to do a ORD shackle flip and have to cut it off anyway, so I am going to do it right this time, I am going to cut my rear quarter panels just below the trim and run the pipe up real high out the side, time to get serious!

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

13. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

I have the Factry exhaust on mine. It has a cat and a big old glasspack one it.It comes out at a 45 degree angle behind the left tire. I currently have no back window. I dont get any smell at all. the only thing that come in the window is the mist off the tires when it rain and it get on the winshield. but no smell.

81 Beater

14. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i have never had the exhaust pointing out the back. i think you will get the fumes no matter what. the flatness of the rear would create a vacuum and suck the air in, especially if you have bad weatherstripping.
    i have them out the sides behind the rear wheels. they scare anyone i pass!

Knife.

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

would it be ridiculous to exit in front of the rear wheels? inside the body line, so nobody gets burned.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

16. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

My brother in law just did that to his 78 bronco. He had dual 3" stainless straight pipe dumping out right in front of the rear tires...almost pointing at the tires. It looked sweet, but he said waaaaay to much exhaust into the cab...so he extended it all the way to the back. It sounds a lot nicer with it being longer.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

17. AZCOBlazer

AZCOBlazer Newbie

I have a 454 with 3" dual exaust running out the back and with a spoiler on top in a 75 Blazer. I am only able to crack the window or the exaust is overpowering. I am in Tucson AZ so I would love to have it down, but the fumes are too much. So I would put it out the sides

18. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve. I had my pipes exit at a 90 degree angle out the sides. Real close to the bottom of the quarter panels. The cool thing was, after I got the shackle flip, I didn't have to change a thing. Now the pipes go in between the frame and the leaf spring. Maybe you could run yours like that and not have to trim the body???

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

19. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

It's not that I have to trim the quarters, I WANT to trim the quarters before I dent them, the less sheet metal the better. Plus I can get the pipe up real high.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]