Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN and title 74 blazer **sold**delete**

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by Seventy4Blazer, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well, this one i can ship... lol the tag is titled in oregon, adn has been as "non running condition" since 2001. from what they told me, no fines SHOULD happen. but i will double check.

here is the soloution for all of you folks looking to kick the smog bug. the title is reconstructed. im not sure JUST what that means, but i have never had any problems registering it.

price is 800.00 to your door.

Grant

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

for 800.00 dollars I would hope there was a truck attached :eek1:

3. Seventy4Blazer

800.00 is less than trying to get a truck in cali to pass smog...

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Costs me a few hours and the tune up stuff every two years in AZ . I wouldn't sell it Grant , and i wouldn't chance it coming back on ya . Your one of the good guys :deal:

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ya i defiently wouldnt do it over the internet either... cant ya get in big sh!t for this?

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

$800 for the VIN tag (which has been removed?) and the title? Like someone else said, I'd hope there was more to the price than just the tag and paper. I could use that tag and paper as I have a '74 Jimmy with no title.

7. Seventy4Blazer

nope, because i dont controll the use. take Wes for example, if he puts it on his its legal. im not saing what you do with it, and intend on someone placing it on a 74 blazer that the tag has been removed for one reason or another. then its legal. in cali, if one had a 74 with no VIN and they wanted to register it, it would be registered as a 2007... OUCH.
    Grant

8. Seventy4Blazer

if you dont like the price, make an offer....

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that'll work:rolleyes: "Why yes Judge, I was with him when we walked in on his wife having sex with another man. When he asked to borrow my loaded gun how was I to know he would use it to shoot both of them?":haha:

So the DMV would be involved, as well as the EPA. Hey if you mail it USPS could get a whack in as well.

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

If it happens over net, wouldn't be concidered a federal offence?

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That's for sure ... just spent $900 myself.

But, out of state title won't work for us CA guys. If you are bringing a truck in from out of state, it has to go to an inspection. I'd hate to be the guy with a 74 VIN in my 86 truck at the DMV / CHP inspection station. Lose your rig and spend the night in the County Hotel!!

We can only use VIN tags off of CA registered vehicles OR bring an entire vehicle in from out of state, have it inspected, insured and registered and then do the swap.

How do I know .... I live in CA :(

I gotta go now, I have my 3rd smog test to attend in about 30 min. Maybe this time I'll pass, if not, I'll try a new CAT next ......

Eric M.

12. thatK30guy

I know a cheaper and easier solution to the high cost of smogging vehicles.....

.....move out of Cali and to a smog-free state.

13. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Believe me, it's not worth it trying to pull one over on the DMV. It's illegal in california to alter the VIN on your vehicle, and the penalty is pretty severe. Unless you like getting your picture taken and talking to lots of judges and DA's. :) I have some different, but related, personal experience with this. When you get caught, that $800 bucks will seem like a drop in the bucket.:doah:

14. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I remember going through this a few years ago. There's an ex-Los Angeles Sheriffs dept. deputy around here. CamK5 or something like that is his handle, he's up in Redding, CA, sold that nice red, dually 4x4 crewcab to our favorite mod! He spelt it out pretty clearly according to the law. It is illigal to tamper with any VIN. You can't remove it, you can't install it on a same year / model as the vehicle it came off of ... you can't do anything with it, it stays with the vehicle whether it is in your garage or the junk yard. If yu replace the body part that the VIN was afixed, you must have the CHP inspect your vehicle and issue a new VIN.

Now, with all that said, how many cops (besides CamK5) can tell the difference between a 74 GM Blazer and an 86. As long as you swap the dash pad out so there isn't a big hole where the old VIN was (that's the first place any cop is going to look anyways), you're probably OK ... but your still breaking the law!!

Eric M.

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Poor Grant.

All he wanted to do was sell a VIN and now he has an entire thread concerning the legalities of VIN swapping on his hands!

Sell it on Pirate, half those boys don't care much for the law anyhow!

Good Luck.

16. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

So your selling a Oregon title and vin huh. Thats funny. My buddy in shasta said there are deputy's that pull over oregon plated vehicles for this reason, people are trying to register in Oregon and keep the vehicle in California. Not bright imo.

17. Seventy4Blazer

hmm... i guess i started a bunch of crap....

check it out guys and galls... not all states are bastards when it comes to VIN's.

look into AZ, they dont care much about what you do.
    anyway, its sold localy, and i may have another one in the next few months.
    Grant

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

grant.. friendly advice..
    It is a federal crime.. article one.. somewhere in section 13 I believe.. its been awhile.. to simply posses a removed vin not surrrendered for destruction.. ditto for the actual rivets.. restorers have to go through all kinds of rigamarole just to possess them (post 67)
    Its also a felony here in cali...

best to check with PA State Police on this one.. since VINS are federal they also have jurisdiction...

really friendly advice,,, dont get within ten miles of doing this.. its not worth it...
    how could you do it... well its been discussed before... but why risk a vehcle impoundment and seizure. arrest. thousands in legal fees even if you were found innocent
    We had a seizure truck
    70 c10... 454 BB.. dope runners truck from mexico.. it had ten different numbers on it... but the dash vin "looked" ok.. it was glued on.. as were the rivets... it was fun to drive,, especially when you knew some dirtbag put in hundreds of hours of labor into it and thousands of dollars making it a show truck

antiques are easier to get away with... "numbers" not vins.. were sheetmetal screwed to wherever if there were any at all... no smog stickers build sheets weight, hidden vins, motor tranny taillight misc body parts, dot stickers. safety stickers or any real DMV history to follow the vehicle...

post 67... well.. there will be a paper trail... would a smart copper catch it.. maybe to probably.. would a guy wanting to write you a ticket.. probably not

I used to love taking apart vehicles on the side of the road just to discover secondary vins.. and making a case when other coppers shined them on... because you might get a little dirty

BTW .. you arent released from civil or criminal liability by selling it to someone else who does evil things with it... trail comes right back to you.. with the guy who you sold it to singing like a good thing. You should have reasonably known the law.. as previously stated iggnorance wont cut it

You might see titles/vins for sale in hemmings.. antiques..ok. stay a mile away from any post 67 stuff.. dont do any vin stuff in public forums

best regards

cam

19. thatK30guy

:haha: :haha: :haha:

That there, is sig material as it sounds like Cam's gonna be making a visit to anyone who tampers with the VIN, in the hoosegow.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

20. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Reminds me of a joke:

What are the most infamous last words?

HEY! Watch This!