Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN and Title Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BARRAZA, Oct 18, 2002.

1. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I have a CUCV M1008 that I bought for just for axles and after I dragged it home I decided to fix it and drive it. Got everything working fine but I dont have a title, the Gov. had it classified as scrap so they didnt issue one. If you have a CUCV, how is it registered? I know I am not supposed to switch VIN plates, but if I acquired a truck with a good title(or just the title and VIN plates), whats to say that I didn't just replace all the bad parts on the truck that has the "good" title with "junkyard" parts. I know that none of the CUCV parts are stolen, I picked them up at the auction site from the auction winner. The rivets on the VIN are unique, so I didnt plan on just drilling them out, but thought I might remove the dash or a section of it. Would it really be illegal? I know that there are plenty of trucks out there with not much more of the original truck left. Hell, I've seen VW rails on the street with tags, what must they be registered as? We dont have any vehicle inspections or emissions testing and in my experience most cops are pretty tolerant unless you are making an ass of youself. Even if I had a wreck, what difference would it make if there is a frame VIN number that doesnt match the dash VIN, there's nothing illegal about replacing the frame in the past. Or the running gear/sheetmetal/everything else. Does anyone actually know what is the illegal part?
    What do you guys think?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I can't answer your questions specifically because I'm not familiar with the legal "ins & outs" but I can tell you about 2 trucks I'm personally familiar with.

Truck #1 : with reference to swapping the entire dash and frame VIN's, I bought an ex-Air Force 91 3+3 K30 2 weeks ago that did have a good title. When I went to register it the lady at the tag office walked out and compared the dash VIN by (of course) looking through the windshield to the original title and that was it, all of 20 seconds of looking - the big deal for the tag office was the paperwork not the actual truck. Maybe you can get lucky like that.

Truck #2: I had a friend that years ago built an S-10 Blazer on a custom frame using Suburban drivetrain. Once finished he was concerned about getting a tag for it so he caled the tag office and told them exactly what he had doen, their answer was to tag it as the drivetrain. I wasn't there for the inspection but he did get the tag.

Personally, since you know the whole thing is "legit", I'd swap the dash but that does not make it the right thing to do. Hope this helps in some way...

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

first check to see what you local laws are i am here in ga i bought one of the same trucks that you did it runs great i was just going to scrap it out but not now here in ga ifs it under an 86 year model you do not need a title just a bill of sale so what i will do when i sell it is just give who ever i sell it to a bill of sale then if there state requires a tilte thats all they will need so if all else fails let me know and i will help you get a title

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I dont know the laws where you are at, but I've bought several vehicles in that same situation. You can apply, and almost always get a new "salvaged" title for it....check your DMV.....

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

The problem with a salvage title is that I don't have ANY real paperwork from the government showing they sold it. Kind of like going to the junkyard and coming back with a pile of parts and then trying to get a title for them. Part of the problem is that each state DMV writes its own rules as far as titles go. As 4x4k20 mentioned above, some states didnt even have titles in the past. Alabama started in 1975, as screwy as it sounds pre 75 cars only had your receipt for the tag as proof of ownership! As a result, states without titles became havens for stolen cars. Also, states do not have consistant definitions of what a "salvage" title is so wrecked cars have in the past been retitled in different states to have "clean" titles, this for example resulted in flooded cars having salvage titles in one state being retitled clean in another. End result is that the state has made it a major pain in the ass to come up with clean titles out of thin air.