Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN decoding...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Feb 18, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Anyone know off the top of their head or have a Chilton's/Haynes (or even LMC catalog) handy that gives the VIN decoding for a 75/76 model that starts with CKL...?

I have one at home, just looking for some quick info. If you have one, PM me. I may want to see if you can decode a VIN for me real quick.

Thanks!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

CKL means C=chevy, K=4whl drive, L = 350 v8.. need anything else post your vin, or Pm me...

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Oh also, if it has the L its a 76 , cuz in 75 it had Y instead of L for the 350v8...
    oh and for the rest of vin, if i dont get to respond to your PM is...
    4th symbol is a number and 1=10 series for chevy or 15 for GMC for 1/2 ton.
    5th = body type , 8 is for blazer/jimmy
    6th= yr made, 3 for 73, 4 for 74, and on up untill its 9 for 79 and A for 80

7th= Assembly plant, which i dont think you care to know... if you do PM me lol
    8th= series of numbers which stand for build sequence nmber itd be like 100422, and that means it was the 422nd model produced.
    Hope this helps.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks. About the same time you replied, I got a PM from chevyfumes. Got it all decoded. Found a guy on ebay trying to tell me he had a one-ton 1975 model. Turns out it was a good ole 1/2 ton 1976. He figured it must be a 1 ton because the rig's GVW is 6220 and the rig alone "can't weigh more than 4220 pounds". He said he has easily carried more than 2,000 pounds in its payload and it didn't flatten the rear springs. As far as the year, he said that's what his title says and what the inside of the door says.

Guy has good ratings on ebay, but when it comes to Blazers, he is a real dumb ass. And he refused to change the listing. I politlely emailed all his bidders to notify them of the listers error. Also reported the errant listing to eBay. Just doing my duty...

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!