Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN ID for 72 K-5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Willie, Nov 26, 2001.

1. K5Willie

K5Willie Registered Member

Hey I'm a newbie here! I just bought a "72" K-5 back in August. I say "72" because I'm not sure of the year. The VIN plate on the driver's side door jamb indicates that the truck is a 1972 (I decoded it using an LMC parts catalog) but all other features point to 69-70 (grill, rearview mirrors, marker lights, badges, etc) I believe that someone has repleced the VIN plate at some point for an unknown reason (stolen possibly??) Anyway, is there anywhere else on the truck that I can find the VIN stamped like on the frame or body? The engine, tranny and transfer case are all replacements. HELP! I need to know! Also what is the gear pattern for NP 203 transfer cases? This truck has one and I can't figure it out!

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I don't know on the VIN but I've been having problems with the shift pattern on my NP203. From what I was told, it should be (starting at the dash) Low Lock - Low-N-2HI-4Loc. This is for one with a Part Time Kit. Unfortunatly, My tranny is blown so I can't test the shift pattern out.

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you can also check the chassis number to see if it matches the tub. look over by the steering box for some numbers on the frame. wait, i dont' remember if it was driver or passanger side. but it;s at the hieght of the steering box on the frame.

they could of also replaced the front end on it...

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Other identifying features on a '72 tub include the lack of a rear view mirror mount on the windshield frame (mirror is mounted to a button that's glued to the front glass), and a pinch bolt in either door under the wing windows.

5. K5Willie

K5Willie Registered Member

Thanks for the tips guys!

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

don't know on blazers but on the trucks the vin on the frame is on the drivers side top of the frame, there was a small curl on the edge... like was said earlier the front end may have been replaced as well, many people will change these because it's fairly easy and they can get the look they want cheaper then watching for that particular model to purchase

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?