Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN number question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ol_grayfeather, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

Heres the number to a '91 crew cab K3500. I'm wondering if someone can tell me what motor/tranny/transfer case is in this? I dont know any of the combo's newer than the 700r4/NP208. I'm guessing a 350/4l60e/NP241 ??? And also since its a 1 ton the front end would be a D60 right?? Or did they not put D60's in the newer rigs? Also any idea what the gears are??? 3.73? 4.11?

1GCHV33KOMF302541

Thanks

Dan

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm....lol, I have no idea...lol...I think that Wes, "ThatK30Guy" could answer that for ya though.......:)

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

1gc = made in USA chevrolet
    H = duno but its for GVW range
    V = 4wd yrs 87-91
    3 = 1 ton
    3 = body type
    K = 350 TBI
    Dont know what O means
    M = 1991
    F = plant it was made in... F is for Flint
    and 302541 is the production sequence number
    Sorry cant tell gear ratio from Vin =/

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> H is 9001-10000 GVW. The O is just a "check digit", means nothing, apparantly. If it's a V3500 it should have the 60. A K3500 is the new(er) body style.</font color>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1GCHV33KOMF302541

1...USA
    GC...Chevrolet
    H...GVW range 8001-9000
    V...4 wheel drive 87-91
    3...1 ton
    3...4 door cab
    K...350 with TBI
    0...check digit
    M...1991
    F...built in Flint MI
    302541...plant sequential number

Rene

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

transmission is most likely a TH400 and t-case would either be a 241HD or 205 (not sure if the 4L80 tranny was offered in 91, but you will know it is if its an auto tranny and has OD, if not it's the 400) Manual tranny I would assume would be the 465 but Wes or others would know for sure. That's actually a good score nomatter what it has (unless it's been bastardized) /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. ol_grayfeather

Well from what i can tell by the pictures the motor is mostly gone, dont know about the trans or t-case, and the sheet metal is pretty straight (except for the F@#D box on it) How hard would it be swithing the tranny and stuff for the crew cab to a 84 blazer??? I'm thinking mostly the wiring for the tranny..

Thanks

Dan

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It all depends on what you have in the blazer and what exactly is in the crewcab. You can swap axles fairly easily to bring you to one ton status. If it's a 400 auto you will not have much of a problem if the blazer is currently an auto. You might have to move the crossmember (worse case scenario is drilling 2-4 new holes) and modify the driveshafts. You will have to wire of the kickdown for the 400 but you will have all the donor parts so it's just a little time/labor. All in all not too bad. The big hassle is if you go from manual to auto or vice versa.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene,

I read this different than you did, where did you get yours from?

1GCHV33KOMF302541

1) Nation of Origin...................( <font color="red"> 1 </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> U.S.A </font color>
    2) Manufacturer.......................( <font color="red"> G </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> General Motors </font color>
    3) Division................................( <font color="red"> C </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> Chevy Truck </font color>
    4) GVWR &amp; Brake System.......( <font color="red"> H </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> /forums/images/icons/confused.gif 9001-10,000/Hydrualic </font color> /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    5) Line &amp; Chassis Type............( <font color="red"> V </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> Conventional Cab 4-Wheel Drive </font color>
    6) Truck Series or Cab type....( <font color="red"> 3 </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> 1 Ton </font color>
    7) Body or Chassis Type..........( <font color="red"> 3 </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> 4-Door Cab </font color>
    8) Engine Code.........................( <font color="red"> K </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> 5.7L V8 4-Bbl./TBI </font color>
    9) Check Digit...........................( <font color="red"> 0 </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> 0 thru 9, or X </font color>
    10) Vehical Model Year............( <font color="red"> M </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> 1991 </font color>
    11) Assembly Plant Code.........( <font color="red"> F </font color> ).... <font color="blue"> Flint </font color>
    12-17) Serial Number.............( <font color="red"> 302541 </font color>)

This info is from the Mitchell Collision Estimating Guide...

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My bad...I read the wrong line. I used my Chilton's and my LMC catalog. The printing in the Chilton's is tiny... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Rene

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

C'moe hit the nail on the head with the decoding. My book shows exactly what he listed above.

Leadfoot, the '91 years did have the 4L80E. But no 241 t-cases as those were available in the K-series, not the V-series. I'm still learning whether GM had both the 400 and 4L80E tranny's in their line of options. So far, to my foundings, the 4L80E is the optional tranny other than the 465 manual in the '91 year only. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. ol_grayfeather

OK thatK30guy, So what are you thinking would be the tranny transfer case combo? 4L80E and the NP205?

Thanks

Dan

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For a '91, it will have the 4L80E and 205. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. ol_grayfeather

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Thank you thats what I wanted to hear. Now as for the tranny..dont the have a computer or something that needs to be wired up for the lock up to work right?? Also any idea, guess, on what gear ratio it would have? Thanks for all the info

Dan

15. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

4L80E is a totally electronic tranny. All shifts, lockup, and line pressure are electronically controlled. It needs the computer to work at all.