Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN numbers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ledfoot, Dec 8, 2000.

1. ledfoot

ledfoot Registered Member

I am trying to by a 4x4 Blazer. The title and the VIN plate on the dash says it's a 79' but the glove box VIN is different and points to an 82. The body style is not a 79. My question is there another place I can look to get the real VIN?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

There is VIN numbers on the frame, sorry I don't know where it is. I had to go to the Oregon State Police for a VIN check due to me having covered up the dashboard VIN with my new dash pad and not wanting to cut it up. The officer didn't let me watch (paranoid?[​IMG]) but he did tell me later that there is numbers on the frame. Maybe call your local State Police and ask them. Good luck, hope this helps.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

what are the vin #'s ??? i can tell you what you have and what they are!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like someone swapped the '82 body onto a '79. The glovebox code would be off an '82 if someone did that, because most likely they changed the glovebox too, since the dash between those years was different. My guess is you have an '82 body on a '79 frame and drivetrain.

90K5

5. ledfoot

Just did a lookup on the web. The title and dash VIN are from a 1979 Blazer and the glovebox VIN is definately from a 1982 model. Something is weird here.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What does it look like, a 79 (two headlights) or an 82 (think 4 squares)?

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. ledfoot

The body swap might have happened. Does a 79' have 4wd on the fly, i.e. do you have to lock in the hubs before you go offroad? This one looks to be one that you dont have to lock the hubs.

8. ledfoot

It has 4 square head lights, two on each side.

9. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me more like it is a 79 tub with a 82 front clip and glove box from the 82...

Scott
    78blazer

10. ledfoot

Was there a dash change between 79 and 82? This dash is more flat across the top, not rounded like my 76'

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Ledfoot,
    First of all, about other locations for finding the VIN, good luck. If there is another VIN location, finding it will be a chore. What BlazzinOR said is right but I really doubt that calling your local highway patrol will provide any info. The location of hidden VIN's is treated like a matter of national security. Couple months ago I had a conversation with someone from the CHP and I was told that there's ONLY about 7 VIN agents in the whole CHP who know where all the hidden VIN's are. Not even the regular officers know where they are, they do this to thwart auto theft. They figure the more people who know, the easier it is for thieves to catch on.
    It sounds like it might be a '79 with the front clip off an '82. If that's the case, it's also possible that they swapped the glove box lid for some reason. What drive-train is in it? Tranny, t-case, diff's.....

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

12. ledfoot

Honestly, I don't know much about 4wd's. Most of my experience has been with old F bodies, I believe it has a 700r4, maybe a th400. I really couldn't tell from looking at the pan. I know it's not a th350 thats for sure. It has non-locking hubs and thats about all I can tell you. Sorry not much help I know.

13. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Best way to determine...

The best way to determine what year cab you have is to open the hood and see if the hinge hole in the cowl is cut out or "stamped" out.
    Compare it to Neil's truck that he converted to the newer style front end.
    [​IMG]

I have never heard of a hidden VIN. It would seem that I would have found it by now especially since I hand sanded my complete cab. There should be a VIN number on the frame on the drivers side that is upsidedown that should correspond to the VIN of the truck.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

14. ledfoot

Re: Best way to determine...

On the drivers side, where would the VIN be placed normally. i.e. near the front or rear, bottom or top?

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Best way to determine...

To tell what tranny you have, the pan for a 700R4 is square. the TH400 pan is shaped find of wierd, not really close to a square. I think they changed the dash in '81 from the old, more rounded style to the flat top style which looks bigger.

90K5