Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vin# on frames?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Feb 7, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where are the vin #'s on the frames. I have 1977 Blazer and can't find the vin#. Thanks.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:ears: ya me to, i cant find the vin on my 73, and on the old trucks there is only 2 right? door jamb and frame?

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

On the mid 70's models they are supposed to be on the top of the passenger frame rail just back from the firewall. Never actually seen it but the DOT guy that inspected my truck back a few years climbed under there with a wire brush and mirror and came back out with a number.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the drivers side frame rail, top, near the power steering gear box, or opposite side same approximate location.

Later on they were on top of the drivers frame rail under the drivers seat, (good luck with a dental mirror on that one!) but around '81 that started...I thought everything earlier was next to the steering box.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a bare frame from an 87 K5 that has the VIN stamped in the exact spot described. :waytogo:

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

on my 79 the numbers where on the passangers side frame rail but i do not think it was the entire VIN number also i have been told that there are number in about ten or more places on frames

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

theyre not entire vin, just last half of it, IE sequential unit number
    either going ot be on top side, or on outer side of rail, either near engine mounts, or under cab front floor pan, sometimes you cant see it with body installed on chassis

also you will ifnd part number stamping, starting with number 3, and will be 6 or 7 digits long

thats frame stamping part number- not vin code

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I was ever able to find that, I'd have to grind it off. :)

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wrong number??

My trucks all have a number stamped in the frame on the passenger side rail,under the passenger seat,the part of the frame that faces the rocker panel--not sure if its the part# or the VIN--its about the only spot on my 74 K20 that isnt rusted paper thin!:mad:

I have a bare frame from a 73 longbed K10 4x4 in the woods out back--I'll have to look it over when the snow melts and see if it has any numbers in other spots--I was going to restore my 74 K20,but I have given up hope--its got too many sins to bother anymore,its going to the crusher as soon as the weather breaks some,and I can get my engine crane out of the shop(does not roll around very good in 2 ft.of snow!)....:crazy:

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where would it be on a 79K5? I have my K5 stripped down to a fuel tank and 3 crossmembers right now and I ain't seen no numbers.

In fact, I've never seen numbers on any frame of our generation. Maybe they all rust off?

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

According to CSI, grinding isn't enough! Maybe you could weld over it to reorient the molecular structure then grind it down again. haha...:grin: