Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vin Plates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IronMan, Dec 6, 2002.

1. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I have the opportunity to pickup a cheap 84' two wheel drive diesel pickup. I would like to use the title and vin plate for my 83' 4x4 1 ton gas pickup. Anyone tried/accomplished this? I KNOW ITS ILLEGAL. Any tips would be great. Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Tip #1: Dont post your intent to do something illegal in a public forum that can be used against you in a court of law!

Tip #2: Vin plates on post '77 GM trucks are in a hard to reach spot on the dash that would require removal of the windshield and dash pad to remove.

Hint: The legal way of doing this would be to swap cabs and that should be your answer no matter what you do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I am with Kenny on this 1 or you can also switch motors then go have it inspected at dmv and reclassified as a true diesel that way you dont have to pay the past due tags +++++ on the outher truck a we know how crazy cali dmv is.

4. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

Then what happens when the VIN plate # doesn't match the VIN # stamped in the frame?

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I have taken part in the california blue tag program 2 times and both times according to the C.H.P. officer the fram number is the ruling piece thats why i said to pull the diesel and put it in his truck then go down and have it reclassified but I also agreed with Kenny because How many times does a officer crawl under the truck to check your vin ;-)
    I have never had it happen and even had my 1 1973 lowrider 2 wheel blazer VERY Checked out the night i bought it and then 2 more times after that
    turned out the truck had been used in a robbery while they didnt take me in or anything but man did they check that thing out i bought new plates for it and my harressment days were done as i didnt find out why i was getting pulled over till the 3rd time it happened with in 4 months