Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VIN # question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Klef72K5, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

ok, I bought this 72 blazer, says so on the title. When I looked it up it shows it's a 71. Did they do that with the late 71's? Here's my VIN# KE181S603158.
    I have the registration from 1992 and it says 72 also. Now let me add some wood to the fire. Since at least 92 they were using the digit 9 instead of the digit S on the VIN until I bought it and the state of Indiana made me correct it. No problem! Is it possible they didn't know what year of Blazer they owned? I don't!
    Do I change my name now?

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It was probably a 72 model sold in 71. My dads vette is that way. It is a 77 but was first sold in 76......Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you know this already, but does the rear view mirror attach to the windshield glass or the top of the windshield frame? If it's attached to the windshield glass then for sure it's a '72. If it attaches to the frame then it has the characteristics of a '71 (even if it is titled as a '72). Door panels are also a giveaway, but they are easy enough to swap.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy has a "71 1/2" K/5 blazer or so he calls it!?!
    I've never really gotten it out of him what he says that makes it a 71 and a half... But it's got a three on the tree manual transmission, backed by the NP205. I never did look at the rearview mirror or the door panels.
    HE's trying to sell it for around $7,000.
    ???

5. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I have the mirror on the glass but, I also have a bracket that's on the center of the frame. Directly above the mirror. How did they attach to the frame? This bracket has a couple of bends in it and is attached by 3 screws.
    The door was replaced. What is diferent about door panels?

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

6. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

The '71 and earlier panels are basically flat whereas the '72 door panels are more contoured about the armrests.

I know that in '72 they moved the mirror, but I don't know for sure if they completely deleted the bracket mounting point from the windshield frame. They probably just covered the mounting point with a blank cover like you are describing. Does anyone out there have a '72 and can verify?

7. Ryan B.

I am positive that my blazer is a '72 and the windshield frame has no area where there is a cover, or any evidence of a rearview mirror ever attached to it.

I looked on another windshield frame that I have in my garage (to replace the rusty section on my blazer) and I belive it was probally off a '71 or earlier because it has two holes one right above another and about 1" apart. There is a small metal bracket (not a cover) that still has one rivit holding it to the windshield frame.
    This looks like a rearview mirror was attached to it at one time. Leads me to belive it was a pre '71.

Isn't the "eggcrate" grill black on a '71 and greyish on '72 ???

8. Ryan B.

According to your vin # KE181S603158 .....

K=4 wheeldrive
    E=8 cylinder
    18=Blazer GVW range 3,900- 5,800 1/2 TON
    1= means 1971 (this would be a [9=69] [0=70] [1=71] [2=72])
    S= means it was built at the St. Louis plant
    603158= it was probally the 3158 unit built

Also check your DMV papers again, sometimes it will say "first year purchased 1972" which means your blazer is more than likely a 1971 K/5 (according to the vin it was built in '71) but was not sold until 1972. So everyone probally calls it a '72 because that is the year is was first bought from the dealership.

Hope this helps.
    Ryan