Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vin/Title????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Dec 15, 2004.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a chance to but a 1936 Chevrolet truck. But it has no vin or title
    does anyone have any ideas where to get a title or vin for a truck this old?

Thanks
    Bo

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

for somthing that old you can rebuild it and get a new title from teh dmv, they will go off a frame number, or whatever they find, im not shure excatally all the detaild but i wouldent worry to much about it, i would get it if the price is right:waytogo:

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    That old of a vehicle will be titled by the original engine #. If you are fortunate and have the original engine then it can be retitled by that #. There may be a frame 3 but on something that old it probably does not have anything to do with the Vin.

any idea when it was last registered or titled. If it was recent the owner can go and request a duplicate title. Since it probably wasn't recent you will have to go through a bond title process at a minimum.

The bond title process involves several steps. If you go to the DMV where you get license plates they have checklists on the steps involved.

It involves getting the vehicle running. Do this as cheaply as possible because you will have to have an appraisal done on the vehicle. The appraisal will determine the amount of the bond. The bond is required to be for twice the appraised value or $400.00 whichever is more. So get it running and all equipment working for that era of vehicle. ie headlights, taillight, horn, signals if it had them, good glass, roadworthy tires, brakes, including parking brake. If you are lucky enough to have the original engine make it run so they can use the vin # off of it. Then you can contact your local Police Department, Sheriffs Office, or State Patrol. You will need a Certified Vin Inspection. There is a $20.00 fee for the inspection. Have a bill of sale and any other supporting documents you can come up with. The State Patrol does the inspections at Camp George West in Golden near the Colorado School of mines. A contact # for the State Patrol is 303-239-4545 you will probably get a recording that will talk about how to get an inspection.

After the Certified Vin then you will have to request a record on the vin # through the DMV and if they come back with a record you have to send a notice to any listed owners concerning the vehicle. You obtain the appraisal and post a bond through a bonding agent. Most insurance agents are bonding agents. A bond is just like bonding someone out of jail. If the bond is for say $4000.00 you give a percentage of that amount in cash. Once you follow all the steps you will end up with a title that can not be taken away. If a previous owner comes forward they get the bond amount instead of the vehicle.

If you cannot locate a good vin then you will have to obtain an assigned ID #. This involves a few more steps. The DMV has a checklist on this also. Same steps as first one but after about 2 to 3 months following the Certified Vin inspection you will be contacted by an inspector that will come out and affix the assigned ID # to the vehicle. The title you obtain will have that Vin # on it.

Good luck. Feel free to pm me with any more questions about the process.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Holly crap batman..... Well there is a little more to this than I have told so here we go. A freind of mine has a 1978 Ford Bronco which was his wheeler after he
    beat the hell out of the body he decided to do something different. A freind of his has some land on the land was a one and half ton 1936 chevy truck So my buddy got the cab and ft clip for free custom mounted the 36 cab and ft clip on this 1978 bronco frame and has been wheeling it for 3 years. He wants to sell the 78/36 truck and I was thinking about buying it so I asked him how is it titled
    he told me it is still regestured as a 1978 bronco. So thought if I was to buy it I would find a way to register it a a 36 chevy for I could get the horseless carrage plates kinda cool I think. So now I dont know what to do I could buy it and I think title it as a 1978 bronco or can I??? The value of the 78/36 truck is about $40k and a one of a kind wheeler. If I was to go to the police station and get a vin verification they will know its not a 78 ford bronco so then what???
    Is it aginst the law to have a 78 bronco frame ect with a 1936 chevy cab?
    Any more info or help would be great.

Thanks,
    Bo

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Bo,

Check your PM's anymore? :tongue1:

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ok sounds like drivetrain is bronco and body is 36 chevy. This would be a reconstructed vehicle. It would definately need an assigned ID #. It sounds like you have title for the bronco. It would be great if you would be able to come up with title for the 36 because it would save from bonding. Call the phone # I gave you and talk to them. Just tell them you are considering buying it.

If this vehicle was stopped it would probably end up behind a tow truck and be held at your expense until everything was verified or at the least be held at a police station until it could be verified.

If you cant get a title on the 36 at least come up with a bill of sale!!

The vehicle is required to be titled as what it resembles.