Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VINs & Registration info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BKinzey, Dec 18, 2006.

1. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Jan 13, 2006
    If you know specifics to CA laws that would help.

I've got 2 vehicles one is currently registered in State and the other isn't. Both are being merged as one.

As far as VINs go just what is the vehicle? The body? The frame? Both? I haven't found a VIN on the frame.

Both have VINs on the dash and on the door frame.

The better body has a hacked dash so if I move the dash from one to the other have I moved the VIN as well?

When I'm done I plan to take a pillaged frame & body to a scrap yard, junk yard, wherever. Will I need a title or proof of ownership for that?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    There may be a partial VIN, usually the serial number only, on the frame.

The DMV will look for two VIN's, in my experience the door jamb and the dashboard. My '74 didn't have the dashboard and they got angry about it, but eventually accepted the glovebox, IIRC.

As long as the dashboard and the door jamb match, you should be okay. If I were you, I would not mention the frame change, as what they don't know won't hurt you ;)

If you junk the body, you'll need a title of some variety for it, yes. Frames they shouldn't care about, since the DMV doesn't so much either.

Make sense? The CVC is available online on the DMV web page if you want details with which to arm yourself in advance :)

-- A
  3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Feb 17, 2000
    There is a member here that goes by the name of camsk5. He's an ex-Cali LEO, and could probably tell you exactly what you need to know.

I recommend you drop him a PM. He's a good guy and would be more than willing to help you out. Tell him I sent you. :thumb: