Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vintage Desert Racing Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntsqd, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Note that the Gordon who's name is on the front of the building is Bob Gordon, Robby Gordon's dad.

Vessels_Blazer.jpg

Blazer-shop.jpg

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Cool, gotta love the slotted mags and spinners. :D

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Some related info that just turned up:

I had a very nice conversation with Bob Gordon at the LDC last year about the Blazer he drove back in the late 70's early 80's. He said Chevy built 4 aluminum block motors and gave 2 to Mickey Thompson and 1 to Scoop (Frank Vessels) and the other to him. He "claims" they would do 140mph on the hwy. Driving them was "a lot of fun" but they weren’t very forgiving in the rough stuff. The wing on the top of the Blazer would come in handy when the Blazer would kick at high speeds, the wind grabbing the Blazer when it was nose heavy and forcing the rear back down IN MID AIR. The smile on his face when he told the story made it that much more believable. I don't care if it's true or not, a great story (I believed it).

--- rory ward

-After looking at Scoops Blazer... it sure looks light weight. Not a lot of cage, fiberglass body? Any idea of the weight? Same goes for Big Oly.-

No weights for either the Blazers or Oly that I could find in any of my literature but I'm guessing between 3000-3500 lbs. Answered some of the questions I've always had about the Blazers this morning when I was digging around in the magazines making copies of articles for folks. I am easily distracted when I start looking at the old stuff.....
    Parnelli had two different Blazers and had very little success with either. The first one was a 92" wheelbase unit and was probably built in '75. Raced it with very little success and then had another one built in '77? that had a 100" wheelbase but looked almost identical. Difference in lengths is discernable between the back of the main roll cage hoop and the rear wheel-inches added there. I found the 92" wb on the first one interesting because that's the wb of an early Bronco. And since Big Oly and the Blazers were all designed and built by the same guy (Dick Russell), there's probably more than a little coincidence in the wheelbase choice. The 100" wb truck may have just been raced once? before PJ disbanded the team and sold the trucks. One article I read mentioned the second one was built specifically for Riverside competition and when it didn't win the first time out, PJ parked it. Looking at Kash's pictures, it's obvious that the later unit (100" wb) is the one his dad drove. I also have an article here that shows Scoop in the truck after winning Parker with it. They mention how PJ had little success with the trucks but how Gordon and Vessels had much more success with them. Good stuff.
    Also found a neat-o article about a 2WD Blazer that Rod Hall and Steve Mizel drove in a rally in Africa in 1980. Nice truck-predated their Ramcharger efforts by several years on that continent. Never knew Rod drove a Blazer. Have some pics too of him driving the Maverick in an early 1000 too.

--TZ

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Holy old school Batman.

When I saw the wing, I was thinking "Big Oly" and with the story, it makes sense.

Cool post :D

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So that's where this rc body came from

[​IMG]
    You can't see it real well but it has the replica tire in the back too

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice post! :thumb:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man i love the old school racing, of any kind, those guys kicked ass with nothing to go on but "hey let try this out, this might work" now a days we have all their experance to thank for all the tech. we take for granted.

that stuff rocks!!!!

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats cool , glory days of wenching

got to love those mags!

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A whole bunch more vintage pics turned up on RDC. I cherry picked those with GM's in them.

blazer.jpg

shopp.jpg

Mint.jpg

vessels.jpg

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

More cherry picked pics.

stevekelly.jpg

steve kelly2.jpg

55chevy2.jpg