Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vinyl -> cd?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ntsqd, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Got some good old stuff on vinyl, want to burn it to cd's for road trip listening. Am completely clueless (some might say that's no news) as to what I need to go about it.
    Anyone done this?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You can buy a pre-set-up audio CD recorder, hooks up like a tape deck to your HiFi and existing turntable.

Me, I just hook the turntable up to my stereo that the computer hooks up to, and run a line back from the rec out to the line in on the pooter... then record the audio in software, edit it, clean it up, and then save it as WAV's to covnert to MP3 or burn to CD.

-- A

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Computer isn't hooked to any stereo, So RCA output from player into the mini-jack 'puter's mic input then?
    What software?
    Like I said, clueless....

4. dremu

I use a program called "GoldWave" -- shareware, http://www.goldwave.com/ -- but there are lots of others. They're essentially more powerful versions of the "Sound Recorder" built into Windows, more editing features, longer record times, etc.

Most turntables' RCA outputs are of the wrong level to hook directly to a computer, so you need a preamplifier. There's also some equalization that goes on, so even if you turn the gain on your computer waaay up it'll sound like ****.

Also, don't hook into the *mic* input, as those are usually mono and are differently equalized and boosted. Use a *line* input.

An el-cheapo stereo or even a thirty-year old HiFi with a "phono" input would do the trick, or ... well, read up:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/21PCGJR9SBLQP/104-4496796-5499101

Once it's all hooked up, you set your computer to use the line input -- the volume control in the system tray, Properties for Recording, select the one that says "line" -- and then start i.e. Goldwave. Do File -> New, set it for, say, 40 minutes, the length of one side, then hit record, and fiddle with the recording level controls like you did with cassettes -- you remember, peaking at the red part of the VU meters? =))

Damn I'm old.

Anyway, I usually record each side of the LP into one WAV, then split it up with GoldWave into each track.

If you record the WAV's at 44.1kHz stereo 16-bit, you can burn them straight onto CD (that being the CD native format.) You can also convert them to MP3 with your tool of choice (I use LAME, as I'm a command line nut, but MusicMatch or whatever would work fine for most folks.)

Ummm ... I think that's most of what you need to know. Editing sound can take horsepower, i.e. gobs and gobs of RAM ... not like video, but 512MB+ can be nice. I have 2GB on my desktop I use for that stuff. Also a FAST hard drive is critical as this stuff will get paged to disk.

Welcome to PM me for more details, or post up here for public discussion if you like.

-- A

5. dremu

Oh and at some point, since damn near everything is on CD now, it may be cheaper in terms of time to just buy the CD's :deal:

I've done the conversion for LP's which were never printed on CD, as it can be painstaking.

-- A

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

See, that's it. I've never, ever seen the "ElectraGlide in Blue" soundtrack or the "Paint Your Wagon" soundtrack on cd anywhere!

:haha:
    Not that I want to record them (can only handle Clint Eastwood's singing for a short while), but I've got other stuff that i've never seen cd cataloged either.

Cool, I need to digest your how-to post and then see what I've got for equipment & what I'll need to get.

7. dremu

http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Your-Wa...=pd_bbs_1/104-4496796-5499101?ie=UTF8&s=music

:haha:

Sounds good. Glad to return the favour, as for once I'm knowledgeable -- usually here @ Ck5 I'm the one asking questions and you're answering :)

-- A