Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vinyl Dye & Plastic Work

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Aug 8, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just ordered two cans of Satin Black SEM's vinyl dye from an online company. Not a bad price, $7.49 a spray can. I also ordered a can of Vinyl Prep and Plastic Prep.

What experience has anyone had with SEM's?

Also.....I plan to dye my kicker panels and a few other plastic parts - has anyone used SEM's on hard plastic?

If anyone wants to get some SEM's - here is the website:

http://www.atrim.com/Page87.html - this page is for the cleaner and vinyl prep

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the tip. How about letting us know how it looks after you use it?

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

My uncle has an uppolstry shop and he uses the SEC stuff all the time, and swears by it. Make sure you clean it real well, try acetone, then prep and paint. Use a couple of thin coats and let it dry good. I will be doing my q-forms and a few misc interior pieces. Stuff is good and no rubbing off problems.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've used SEM on several projects, including door panels and interior trim pieces. It works great, no rubbing off problems, no scratching, a very good product.

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

MAN!!! I wish I had as much luck as you guys. I was going to paint some door panels that I had bought for my old truck and had to end up covering them in fabric because I could not get the paint to stick. I read the directions that came with the cans and followed them exactly and the first time it didn't stick. Then I called the trim place I bought it from and followed their intructions exactly and it still peeled. Then I called SEM and followed their instuctions exactly and it peeled. Finally I called the place I got my door panels from and followed their instructions exactly and it still peeled!!!!. By this time I was fed up and decided to cover them in fabic after 90+ dollars of paint and prep supplies and hours of frustration. Long story short, the panels I covered myself looked better than if I had got the paint to stick. Just my thoughts.
    88K5Jimmy

6. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

Assuming the stuff sucessfully bonds, are there any problems when the sufaces get very hot from the sun: stickiness, smell, softening? Also, what about trying to clean your truck? Can you use regular cleaners, and can you use Amor-All? The stuff usually doesn't react too well with paint.

7. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I have used this stuff before and had good results, but more often than not the vehicle was for resale....I had used it on a door panel once on one of my off road beaters and the stuff came off on my arm when I had bug spray on and my arm resting on the door panel (our national bird in manitoba is the mosquito...they make up the majority of our air force...lol) just my 2 cents....ED

8. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

I've used SEM and haven't had any problems yet. Sprayed my dash, sun visors, kick panels about 2mo ago. I've had the top off ever since so Its been rained on and exposed to the sun and hasn't faded or gotten sticky at all. Started getting real dusty so I cleaned it with an STP protectant similar to armorall, again no problems. Wash everthing real good with mild soap &amp; water rinse and let it dry completely. Spray on the plastic prep and wipe it down with dry towel. Spray on the SEM paint in lite coats let dry between coats. Heavy coat will peel. Let it dry all day before you put stuff back together or you may scratch the paint. Do not do this in hot or humid weather.

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've never had a problem with it at all, just remember prep, prep, prep, prep, and when you think you're done, prep some more and you'll be fine[​IMG]

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>