Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vinyl half doors and tailgate ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I was curious if anyone has or thought of putting vinyl half doors like J**Ps have; on a Blazer? They would probably have to be custom made but, it would be cool to have. Like have a plastic window that you can zip and unzip for the 69-75 models. This would sure save alot of weight and it would be a breeze to remove for summer cruising.

Also, has anyone on here swapped in a truck tailgate onto the back of their Blazer's? This would mean running a soft-top all the time though. This would elimate all the window mechanisms from getting F-up all the time and it would also save some weight. You would have to seal the gaps with some weatherstripping to keep out the fumes when the tops on, though.

I just had these brainstorming ideas and wanted to see if anyone on here has thought of this or currently has this on their Blazer's or Jimmy's.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have dutch barn doors on the back of my 75 (see my site link below) and I still run a hard top just fine and it even has a window. I cut a peice of Plexiglass and put some Aluminum Angle across the bottom with a peice of Bed rail tape as a seal. It stays in when the doors are open but takes about 30 seconds to pop out if I need to load something large. My cargo box is an under bed box that you normaly see under a flat bed and opens from the side or in my case for the rear so I still have full access to my gear but it can be locked and is in a dirt and water proof place when the top is off for 8 months of the year. I don't even have a top just a home made bikini top. [grin]
    I have as yet to run with the doors off but I will shortly have a set of doors available to make half doors or cut outs like the scouts and Bronco's had. Most states have laws on the books that say there must be a ledge X number of inches high. Thats how jeeps can get away without the doors but us just taking off the doors is illeagle.
    I have tossed around a door idea like yours and even though about cutting out a the half doors to the shape of a Jeep soft door and o=bending the Jeep dor frame to match the curve of a K5 but haven't had a tape measure handy when I'm with my Jeep owning buds to see if a Jeep door will fill the hole and be at the correct angle to meet the windsheild. Few more months and spring will be here and I'll put more thought to it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I have thought about this alot too. I checked with Metal By The Foot here in KC and i can get all the metal I need for the doors for $20. I figured just use an old set of doors to bend around and match take them to the tent co. and make them just like j$$p doors split in half and all. Also though I have thought about the j$$ps kick plate and plan on putting the same thing into affect and just cut my doors(Steel and vinyl) up a few inches higher. Thus 3" inches or so before water comes in, doors off legaly, and keep all my crap on the floor in my truck and not on the road. Lastly just like grim I too was thinking of splitting back door except i was going to use suburban doors Either is a good idea. I have diff reasoning than grim though....I'm too fat and can't reach the stuff i put in the bed! HATE climbing in and out of the bed again and again just becouse its just too far to reach! anyway hopefully our books give you some thoughts.

Good luck

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I love my split doors. When the top is off it's awsome! It really sucks have to load over the gate up or down and I'm reminded of it everytime we hit the Public's in My wifes 79. The other slick thing is when trail riding with large groups when you stop you park tight. With a swing gate like most of the spare tires caciers you need about 4-5 feet of swing room but only 30 inches with my gate. The only downside is long loads.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/