Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vinyl paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How well does the stuff work? I'm thinking of trying to use it to make my blue dash black, but I don't want to if it's just going to peel up or look crappy from the start. Good/bad brands?

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

i used it on a project truck and it held up pretty good....just make sure to put a few coats on it to cover up the old color.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I used the wal mart stuff and it works like a dye not a paint. So even if you scratch it a little bit you will still see the new color and not the original. As long as the scratch is not too deep...

Be sure to clean it real well first.

4. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    I used the wal mart stuff and it works like a dye not a paint. So even if you scratch it a little bit you will still see the new color and not the original. As long as the scratch is not too deep...

Be sure to clean it real well first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you remember what brand? I went there and they only had the Krylon plastic paint ("bonds" to plastic and vinyl or some such nonsense). I tried it on my plastic kick panel - it looks really good, but I can pick it off with my fingernail.

The auto stores all have duplicolor vinyl paint stuff, but it didn't seem like dye, more like paint. I don't know where to go for the good stuff.

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

you have to make sure its all cleaned off with like rubbing alcohol or something similar. For the paint stuff my friend did his and said there was a primer that he used. I used it on my old truck without primer and it didn't work too hot on the hard stuff like plastic but the vinyl on the soft dash work great.

6. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

I used that Duplicolor vinyl paint for my dash and seats and everything else... if you don't clean it really good and make sure it is totally dry, then it's not going to work that great. The texture in the interior pieces can be a PITA to get dry sometimes, but if you take your time, it comes out pretty nice.

Steven

7. Mastiff

FWIW, I went with SEM paint for the dash. The guy at the paint store said it was "paint" when I was asking around for dye, but seeing it in use, it seems much more like dye. It seems to sort of soak in and evaporate or something, it doesn't sit on the surface. I used the prep stuff they sell too, it supposedly opens up the pores of the vinyl and cleans all the gunk out. It did seem to make it kind of dried out and absorbant.

I'm fairly happy with how it looked after I applied the stuff. I'll post again if anything weird happens or if it wears off or something.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've heard the same about SEM...nothing but good thigns to say about it, seems to be the most highly recommended vinyl "dye" out there.