Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Violent bouncing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarsonRoen, Sep 5, 2001.

1. CarsonRoen

CarsonRoen Registered Member

this may be an easy question for some of you guys, but i just need a little help with one thing. my truck (73 Jimmy 4WD) bounces like crazy, there may be a better word than bounce but that is all i can think of, but it is not like a bounce from bad shocks, it is pretty violent. i just got the tires (38" swamps) put on a few months ago and they were balanced. at the same time i had new springs and shocks put in. so if anybody could help me out with this that would be great. thanks!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You might not have enough shock for 38"s, that's alot of unsprung weight there. What kind of shocks are you running, and how many?

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

It could be the tires. My 35s flat spot over night and bounce at most speeds.They dont balance very well.My friend has 38s on his and they ride the same way.It goes with the tires.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.. [​IMG]

4. CarsonRoen

i have superlift shocks, the ones that came with the lift. and to add one point, the past two months i had them they were great and no problems, until something happened and now it does this, i don't even drive it anymore becuase of how bad the truck feels to drive. something is seriously wrong, (i think)

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Try letting some air out of the tires and take it for a ride - see if anything changes. Also pull off the shocks and check their funnction - how much effort do they take to compress?

<a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

mine bounces like son of a bitch,........problem is that i gt no rear shocks

high

7. CarsonRoen

thanks for your help i'll try those things, if you have anymore advice that would be great. thanks

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It'd also pay to get the balance checked on the tires - particularly if they are done with outside weights. Balance patches would be much better.

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Mine bounces alot but not violently or anything.
    I think its cuz we have striaght axle suspensions. I have 2 rancho 5000 in each front wheel, 2 in each back wheel and 1 horizontal one to prevent axle hop in each back wheel.
    It ride alright. But i think the lift contributesto bouncyness

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

10. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

are the rear shock any good at all? what kind are they and part #, age of shocks? single or more per tire? Is it any better after the 5 mile warm up on the highway or non city 5 mile. What presure are you running in the tires

11. so it's bouncy when you hit bumps or always bouncy? you said it was fine at first but then got bouncy. you could have thrown your wheel weights or broke a shock mount. see if you can describe the bouncing more, like when and how.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine rarely bounces at all, with a 4" Superride lift and single RS5000's (Bleah[​IMG]) at each corner.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Make sure the shock body is at the bottom, they can get air in them and when the air passes through the valving, no damping results. I had RS9000's with the valve at the top one time and could get airborne on one section of pavement in Grand Junction. Turned them over and it worked fine.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

14. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

My K5 has little 33x12.5s (compared to your tires-small) and they have to warm up and stretch out the flat spots from sitting overnite usually. worse in winter time.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

15. CarsonRoen

all my shocks are new with the kit. the bouncing happens all the time on any road, and it seems to increase with speed. it is violent bouncing almost like if i had a flat tire. i checked the psi, all tires are at 35. i had a shop install the lift i would assume they installed it all correct, considering that it worked perfect for about two months then this started happening.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My truck has a 4" Rancho on it and it rides great. Either you have a severe balancing problem or you've got a mechanical issue somewhere you've got to find. I'd get the tires balanced again first. Those are huge, heavy tires. If they're out of balance, you'll know it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

front or rear or both?

18. CarsonRoen

i am not sure where it is coming from

just a quick question, do any of you guys think anything major could go wrong on my way to the tire shop? well, i am also accepting any other ideas anyone may have. thanks again

19. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't bet on anything going wrong - sounds to me like just a tire or shock issue.

20. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

my 77 K25 longbed bounces like a SOB too... I have replaced front shocks and have new bfg 33" AT's on there.. stock lift.. I have everything to replace all suspension but I havent done it because everything is going to be moved to another frame.. BUT I do know that my front swaybar bushings are TOAST, as well as spring &amp; shackle bushings, all around.. the rear shocks are junk too but it feels like the front is bouncing so I have been hesitant to buy stock replacement shocks since I have the 4" lift shocks sitting on the shelf anyway.. I have considered it being caused by something in the rear, but it seemed a little far fetched... after reading some of these posts im starting to reconsider..

do you feel the bounce in the steering at all? I definately dont, Ive done a shade-tree "alignment", or at least gotten it close to spec, and it doesnt pull, wander, etc but man does it bounce especially noticeable in the morning..... I run only about 26-28psi in the 33's and they wear pretty good and look excellent.. if Im around 12psi there is no bounce.. 35+ and its amplified.. good luck finding your source!

mike