Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Violent Shaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Aug 19, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I went driving on a dirt road yesterday (I wouldn't call it wheeling), and when I got back on the street my truck had a terrible, violent shake. The first time I hit the brakes it calmed down some, but even this morning on the way to work it was bucking all over the place. Here is the weird part, though: After I hit the first intersection, and came to a complete stop, the shaking stopped, and I am back to normal. What could be causing this? I was on my way to the shop, but now I have nothing to show the guy--when he drives it, it will seem normal.

I have a 14-bolt with a Detroit in the rear, and an open 10-bolt up front. It seemed like the vibration could be coming from up front, but it was really hard to tell with all the shaking! I did not go into four-wheel drive at all while on the dirt road, nor did I hit anything or go over anything a car couldn't ride right over.

Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

It might sound silly, but it could be that you picked up some mud in frontend. Maybe around the rim and backing plate. Just a shot in the dark, but that could explain why it went away after the brakes were used. Try checking for sings of mud in these areas. Good luck.

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

No mud. There isn't any in August in Nevada, trust me! I found out what it is, though. My right read brake hub is hanging up, so I need to get it serviced. I can see what's wrong, but I can't fix it. I called the shop, and they said that no matter what it is they'll fix it for free, so I'm set. Just gotta drop the truck of Monday, which sucks. A day without the K/5 is a day without sunshine [​IMG].

[​IMG]

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

sticking brake calipers....