Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Virgin trip out in the blazer (long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by balzackks84, Dec 16, 2002.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I took the Blazer out for her virgin trip to Browns camp in Tillamook State Forest. Went with my buddy in his 68 Bronco, cousin in his 68 Trashonal flat bed, and his friend in his 78 CJ5. I thought this was gonaa be a trip to watch my cousin thrash his flatbed since he just lifted it and put new tires on it. I ended up doing the trashing.

To start off with its pissing down rain all day long. So everthing is soaked and the clay turns into snot, its some bad stuff. But we decided to start out with Firebreak 5. This is the first time that ive been up there sinced they redid a section of it. What its got is a sharp left around a tree with a big a$$ rock in the middle of the turn. The only way i could do it was swing wide and put a tire on the rock. But then it went bad. I slid off the rock and into the tree. Turning my door into a big dent, not cool.

A couple hours later it was on the virge of dark so we hit a short sectoin of saddle up. Its just a steep, rocky, hill climb. I watched the Bronco go up so i took a shot at it. About 30 feet from the top there's 2, one foot tall rocks that hit my wheels just perfectly. The first one was catching my back tire, so id carry momentum to bump it. The second my rear wheel bumped the front hit the other one. And i was too wide, and in a rut so i couldn't go around. So I hammered her and BAM. Broke the slip yoke out of the 208. Now its dark and im getting winched out.

So i get home after being towed behind the bronco for 50 miles and im looking at a Blazer that is blocked and has a messed up door.

Pics are comming as soon as i get the film developed.

P.S. The moral of this story is get good tires. If I would have had decent tires i wouldn't have slid off of that rock and i wouldn't have had to carry so much momentum up the hill.

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

that sucks dude...

really sucks... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Sometimes even the best mud tires are no match for that sticky gooy sh!t.
    There are some spots around here that I won't even think about going in if it has been raining.
    TSF is great fun, hopefuly I will have another front shaft soon so I can make the new years run.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

yep sometime tires don't even help. I got caught in a rain what was just enough to make the top lay snot. NO TRACTION AT ALL. I ended up sliding into a tree and taking out the mirror and that was fine becaus if it wasn't for the tree I would have slid right off the mountain and not stopped for a few hundred feet when I hit a patch of trees. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    If the dor doesn't have creses you can pop out the dent with a basket ball. Need to put a peice of 2x4 in the door so you don't bend the inside of the door out. Then just pump up the B-Ball and it will push the dend back out.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Firebreak 5 with as much rain as we got this weekend must have been almost undrivable at spots............

You have any lockers in the axles? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. balzackks84

Pretty much. As long as we didn't keep trying a spot it was fine. But most of the places were pretty sloppy just after a couple of us went through. And the door is totally f***ed. Its funny cause i work with the guy i bought the blazer from and he loved it. When he heard about what happened he just about made a mess in his pants. So today he was out looking for doors for me.

If i figured out how to make the slip yoke on the 208 not slip would any one be interested? Me and my dad have been throwing around a couple options since this happened. We've got a metal lathe so it might involve just threading the output shaft on the transfer case and runing a bolt through the yoke. But not too sure yet, theres other, easier options too.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

wait, What do you mean? i don think im hearing this right, isnt it suppose to slip when your suspension flexes?....... what am i missing here? By the way i have Extra driveshafts for ya.... if you break yours or if you want to carry them around with you, They were outa my 84 when it had the 208 in it.....

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We've got a metal lathe so it might involve just threading the output shaft on the transfer case and runing a bolt through the yoke. But not too sure yet, theres other, easier options too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ya gonna run an even bigger bolt through the frame and into the axle to hold it solid? Cause if you don't and your axle moves up or down you will be hearing alot of real interesting sounds /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Slips are there for a reason....

9. balzackks84

I might take you up on the driveshafts. But as it is im kinda in a spot financially with Christmas and having to fix the Blazer.

I mean make it a fixed yoke and use a driveshaft with a slip yoke, just like a 205 or a 203 is set up. So when you break the yoke off the T-case you dont have that big hole out the back. That was the only reason i had to get towed. We tried the pop bottle thing but it lasted from the trail to Rogers camp. Or i might just cut my broken yoke down into sections, weld a cap on it, and use that for a plug. It would seal so i could limp home in front wheel peel. Just tossing around some ideas, seeing if anyone thinks they're worth trying.

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, ok that makes more sense now. Yeah, most people who beat on there rigs end up with a slip yoke eliminator and go with a slip in the shaft.

11. balzackks84

Do you know if anyone makes it for the 208? I've heard of people doing it too but have yet to see someone sell a kit or a service to fix it. I know i should just convert to a 203 or 205 but i just dont have the time or money right now.