Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Visiting Ouray, what to do?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by tomseviltwin, Jul 21, 2003.

1. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Bringing family in stock blazer or Suburban (depending which is running /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) What moderate roads/trails would be fun to take. Is camping easy to find? Planning on week after next.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif need /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif to complete collection /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Guess i live the closest but i have never been down there yet...ya know...moving...buying selling homes...first kid...yataa..yattaaa. I'll be spending the weekend of the 8-9th of august down there with some friends so i won't be able to comment until then. If you are coming thru Junction stop in and say high...exit 26...FRIEGHTLINER...i'm there from 8am till whenever....

DW

3. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Ouray is great. Lots of places to four wheel it's often considered the *eep capital of the U.S. The Blazer would do better due to sharp switchbacks in many areas. Some of the more well known trails are Imogene, engineer pass/animas forks, Yankee Boy & Black Bear just to name a few. Although Black Bear is more suited for very short rigs. Afterwards you can eat at the Western and then go soak in the hot springs. Bring plenty of sun screen for the days and a light jacket for the nights. Monsoon season is just starting so expect mid-afternoon showers. Have fun! OLD DAWG/AKA Doug /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif PS You might check into camping at Ridgwaystate park just North of Ouray

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I want to do one of the easier high passes. Also, the train ride from durango to silverton? looks fun too. The state park looks like a good place to camp. I'm thinking the Blazer is the truck I'll take.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

when ya headin down that way?

DW

6. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

A good moderate trail is engineer pass. It's located about 3 miles south of Ouray and has a good pucker factor due to the steep drop offs and small rock steps. Or you can take the Alpine loop which is just a connection of Engineer pass, Animas Forks(which goes to Silverton)or you can drop into Lake City over the pass. Lake City to Engineer is easy, I saw a guy on a Honda Goldwing up there once. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The Durango/Silverton train is a neat side trip. The total round trip is about 7-9 hours, or you can take a charter bus from Silverton to Durango and bring the train back (much shorter). Bring plenty of film for the camera lots of bears and other asst. photo ops. Be careful I don't want to see you in the Montrose hospitals ER. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Have fun: Doug AKA:OLD DAWG. PS Watch out for tourists in rental Jeeps they roll a bunch of them every year. (I guess it must be that Jeep thing )