Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

visor and lightbar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, May 4, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I am considering getting a viser and/or a lightbar for my 71 K5. what i am wondering is if they will look good on that year of blazer, If anyone has either a visor or a light bar on there blazer or jimmy please let me know if it is a good idea and what model i should get of either.

2. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I don't think they look good on these model blazers. A roof rack with lights on the front of it looks ok to me but until I need the lights they won't be on my blazers. I think the important thing is do they serve a purpose? If you need the lights put them on. If you are only going for looks save the money and paint some flames on it!

3. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

I have a unique light bar on my '85. Because I have an "aerowing" (exaust deflector) I needed racks to throw my canoe on. I put on thule high foots, along with lights that actually fit under the rack and shine outside the tip of the canoe (its handy to see those branches that are 8-9 feet off of the ground (where the top of the canoe sits on the trail). Very practical and looks pretty good!

Driving your blazer=FUN!

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I've seen a few blazers with light bars... U G L Y!!!! I'm going for a roof rack (4") with lights in front, side & behind. I am planning on getting the roof rack mounted to the fiberglass top to extend about 2" over the metal shell (unsure if I will go this route or not yet...) this will place the lights further forward & high enough to avoid massive reflection off the hood. I am also looking forward to getting a Moonvisor for the truck.

Thats my opnion.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

My KC light bar was the best investment that I made for my Jimmy. I only paid $100 and my friend gave me the brand new KC lites when I bought it from him. I go out at night quite a bit, especially to help my friends out. I took out my windshield last summer, because I couldn't see very well, even with the brights on. The light bar is something that helps if you are going to use it. Personally, I think they look sweet. Good luck

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i have some of those blazer lights on my rig, too. ain't that cool to have light covers that say blazer? i got a kick outta that. they aren't the brightest lights i've seen, but they do wonders to make the truck stand out just a little. i'm looking to get a push bar up front, and i'll add some high-quality halogens for the midnight sunshine.
    i've seen a '90 here in town with a light bar. black, lifted, clean. the lights look good, but it's not for me. it definitely adds an offroad look to your truck.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I ran a light bar on the top of mine for about a year. Didn't like it at all. The thing is sitting in my garage now. Didn't look right at all. The glare off the hood was nothing. I never even noticed and people were more than happy to dim their lights after a shot of em. But GAWD I couldn't stand the way it looked.

[​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

8. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Hey mico85K5, how did you mount the rear bar of your rack on the fiberglass?

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

This is the best way I have found for lights. I got a Wilderness Roof rack, 5 x 5 x 6in tall. Next 2 6x9 100 watt Explorer Pro Comp lights on the front using Wilderness racks existing light tab holes with bracket. Then Hilift on rear and 2 clamp on style Wilderness light tabs on the rear using 55 watt floods that can easily be twisted and abgled either down, up, front or sideways to give you all the light I need when traliering, backing up or in the trail. Oh yeah and the rack holds a lot of weight. I weigh about 230 and have gotten up there to load it up.

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

and here's the rear...

BBone 85'K5

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Bone,

Is your top fiberglass or what, and how much weight will the top by itself hold?

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

12. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, mine is the stock factory fiberglass hardtop. I do not know how much it can hold. I think the rack was shipped about 40ish lbs and with the lights, brackets, and hi-lift and its bracket i would imagine there is at least 60-70 lbs on it constantaly. Like I said, I have stood up there on the roof rack flooring to load it and it showed no sign of flexing.

BBone 85'K5

13. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

About the weight dillema u guys are having. Many times i have neglected to bolt my top down and it has come off my blazer several times once at 50 on the hard road bout 3 times climbing hills. It has one minor crack but i weigh 190 stand on top to to get on the roof and my house and it doesnt flex one bit.

14. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

correction i mean "at my house" not "and my house"

15. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I too have a roof rack mounted on the fiberglass shell. I use it as a spare tire mount, hi lift mount, 2 bike rack and 2.5 gallon gas can rack. I have used it as a ladder too. No problems. I'll shoot a picture in the day light and post it.

16. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Wow, that's some abuse to your top. Good to know what they will hold up to. I know I've stood on mine more than once for various reasons withou any problems. By the way, you can edit your posts without having to ad a new post. Just click on the orange box on the right which is next to the reply to box.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?